Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Scanning Issues

I have some medium format (6X4.5) transparencies taken in the 80s that I want scanned. (Sorry--it was a Mamiya 645.) I have an Epson V300 scanner, which of course is 35mm only and was just a hundred backs.

I've only had it a few weeks and haven't played with it much, and tech support wasn't much help when I called to ask about using it for 16mm cine film.

Has anyone "cheated" a scanner's software to use it for off-size film? Like, how come I can't just scan sections of my 120 film and then put it together in Photoshop?

You would think that you would be able utilize the film function of the scanner to do a raw scan of that entire area, but the software gets in the way--and it "looks" for images of 35mm size to spew out as individual files.

I have my own eyes so I'll do my own looking, thank you. But there HAS to be a way to beat the system here.

(Mods: If you think this belongs somewhere else, please move.)

03-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I have some medium format (6X4.5) transparencies taken in the 80s that I want scanned. (Sorry--it was a Mamiya 645.) I have an Epson V300 scanner, which of course is 35mm only and was just a hundred backs.

I've only had it a few weeks and haven't played with it much, and tech support wasn't much help when I called to ask about using it for 16mm cine film.

Has anyone "cheated" a scanner's software to use it for off-size film? Like, how come I can't just scan sections of my 120 film and then put it together in Photoshop?

You would think that you would be able utilize the film function of the scanner to do a raw scan of that entire area, but the software gets in the way--and it "looks" for images of 35mm size to spew out as individual files.

I have my own eyes so I'll do my own looking, thank you. But there HAS to be a way to beat the system here.

(Mods: If you think this belongs somewhere else, please move.)
Hmmm.. just got the wrong scanner...
Have you just tried using it as a plain document (I know different light direction) but it maybe correctable.
No tweaks in the "professional" tab to override auto settings?
There is a lot to their software in general.
There also are other packaged software that works with your scanner. Try a few trial versions and see...
If this is a major issue I think it would be best just to get a scanner w/ 120 capabilities:
This lists from 35 to large format and as a refurb is cheapish..
Epson Perfection 4490 PHOTO - Refurbished, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.
4490 Transparency Unit

* 2.7" x 9.3" Transparency Adapter built-in lid, 12 35mm negative, 4 35mm slide, 1 2-1/4", 6x12cm or 120/220mm (medium format) capacity
The refub v500 does:
Transparency Unit

* 35mm Transparency Adapter
* 12 negatives/4 slides
* medium-format film (6 x 12 cm)

Last edited by jeffkrol; 03-21-2009 at 08:12 AM.
03-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the 4490 and it works well. MF scanning is a pain in general though.

One thing I've done that you might try - take out the 35mm holder and simply lay the MF film down the middle (or whatever the place the 35 holder had the film in) and try a scan.
03-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I've been using my Epson 2450 Photo flatbed (does negative, film slides as well). Good thing too, I just found 500+ film slides circa 1960's in the storage room. 48 scans took 3 hours (with some PP) at 800dpi (1000x600) 1 at a time! ....maybe I'll invest in a proper scanner later on.

03-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
Damn Brit

Moved to PP and Software
03-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at VueScan, it's a scanning program that works without using OEM
software or drivers. It'll scan just about any size.
03-21-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

On a flat bed all you need to do is make sure your negative is not sitting on the glass, that it's parallel to the glass and that it is backlit when scanned. As the scanner already does negative film you should already have the settings needed to make a positive scan.

It wouldn't be difficult to make a bracket out of heavy card to hold the negative.
03-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #8

send an email to Betterscanning.com and see if their custom film holders work on that scanner model....the owner knows flatbeds and can tell you if his will work. They're all better than Epson OEM, resulting in sharper scans, but one is especially good as it has adjustable focus.

03-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Anything's better than Epson OEM, for negative carriers, I should think. (I got one of those refurb 4490s and it's been an ordeal, something doesn't track right (horrid plastic gear sounds and distortion or scans that are entirely garbage and the inside of the glass is a mess, fogged and such. Amidst my frustrations, (I was learning Mac at the same time and unsure where the problem was) I thought I had gotten it right at one point and packed it away for a move, then got here and the problem recurred, insistently.

In any event, I'm looking at making a negative carrier that'll hold flat and use the good spots till I can replace it.

As for using card (I was thinking something a little stiffer that could actually hold negs flat when they are bowed fresh from drying) ...is there a minimum/maximum/optimal distance off the scanner bed to use?
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Guys, I apologize for not replying sooner. I appreciate your help!

But the original thread was moved and I just now found it!

Let me read........
03-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the not-cheap Epson Perfection 4990 (not 4490 mentioned above). It has carriers for 35mm negs and slides, 120 and 4x5 film, and will scan an 8x10 area with whatever you put there.