Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate

I've had my K20D for about a month now, and I've been trying several different software options for RAW conversion. I decided to go with Corel's Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate, as I used the non-ultimate version to do most of my K100D processing.

I went back to try and re-develop some of my images and noticed that before any work whatsoever, the PEF files are showing blown highlights that were not blown in the original image. I've attached a screen shot from PSPX2 and another from PPB. I tried disabling color management within PSPX2 and that didn't seem to make a difference.

Has anyone else experienced this issue with PSPX2 or other imaging software?

Last edited by code4code5; 08-06-2009 at 09:16 PM.
03-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

go to File>preferences>file format preferences. This should open up a window. Select the "general" tab and make sure that "Open Camera Raw Images With Smart Photo Fix" is not checked
03-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
go to File>preferences>file format preferences. This should open up a window. Select the "general" tab and make sure that "Open Camera Raw Images With Smart Photo Fix" is not checked
Unfortunately, that was the first thing that I checked. I was hoping that something got tweaked during the installation, but to no avail. Thank you, though.
03-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess it's true that all RAW converters are not created equal. I've decided that on shots with blown highlights in PSP, I'll do an initial RAW conversion to tiff with PPL, correcting for white balance and shadow recovery only, then do the remainder of the corrections in PSP. What a pain. Sure makes me glad that I dropped $50 on the new version.

03-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to upgrade because the old version didn't support the k100d super, but they look ok with that profile on my version. I mostly use Capture One though unless I need to clone out a spot or something.
03-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

I use PSP for tweaking, but don't use it for raw conversion which I find it's very poor at. I use silkypix for that. So, go from PEF > SilkyPix process and save to TIFF > PSP process and save to JPG.
03-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same problem. It seems to be the raw opener... It happens also in the organizer.

My thread is here : K20D raw problems with PSP X2 Ultimate.

I do the same like Chirpy, the TIFF is not changed...

03-31-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do the same as the others. I use PPL for WB and small curve corrections saved to TIFF then use PSP X2 Ultimate just about every thing further.

DAZ
05-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've decided to give RawTherapee a try, and it seems fairly extensive. I'm not quite sold on the output yet, but I'm learning.
05-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chirpy Quote
I use PSP for tweaking, but don't use it for raw conversion which I find it's very poor at. I use silkypix for that. So, go from PEF > SilkyPix process and save to TIFF > PSP process and save to JPG.
I purchased Paintshop Pro Photo XII because it incorporated a raw converter for the K10 PEF files and tried a few, to be honest I didn't work on it very hard, but wasn't satisfied with the results. I then went back to Pentax Photo Lab, which at first I couldn't understand and felt it was short of features, and had much better luck with the PEF conversion.

I may be missing something with Photo shop Photo XII, I need to learn more.

jimH
05-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am about fifteen days into a thirty day trial of Capture1 Pro, and I've really gotten the hang of the workflow. It's pricey, and in all honesty I think I'd preferr to buy LightRoom at the price they're asking for it. I have been very happy with the fidelity of the images, but the noise reduction that's built it leaves a lot to be desired. Raw Therapee hasn't given me the most faithful representations of the raw image, but the price sure is right.
05-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a small update available (12.501). But the program will only sh
From the menu Help-Check for Updates...

It updates the Ulead raw reader dlls and PhotoLoader.exe

All the problems with showing/opening K20D raw files has gone !
05-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
It updates the Ulead raw reader dlls and PhotoLoader.exe

All the problems with showing/opening K20D raw files has gone !

The fact remains that Corel has been very slow with providing updates for PSP. That's why I stopped using it a couple of years ago.

Dan.
05-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you pay a product 1/10th of the price of Photoshop, don't think that the service will be 10 timers better.

It remains the best price/feature ratio on the market...
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
If you pay a product 1/10th of the price of Photoshop, don't think that the service will be 10 timers better.

It remains the best price/feature ratio on the market...
I certainly can't afford Photoshop. I use XnView, The GIMP & PPL for RAW conversion. You can't beat freeware for the best bang-for-the-buck.

The freeware providers seem to be able to provide much more frequent bug fixes & improvement upgrades than PSP. I wonder how they can afford to do it?

When I tried PSP last (XI or X2) it was so slow to load & blew up frequently. The stability of the freeware products I use is superior.

Last edited by dosdan; 05-27-2009 at 05:02 PM.