Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bulk 35mm negative/slide scanning services?

On a similar vein as my film scanner query, I'd like to know about any reliable film scanning services that you've used for scanning your backlog of 35mm negatives and slides. I'd rather not have to spend a ton of money on my film scanner and spend a bunch of time scanning my personal and family snapshots.

Thanks!
Heather

03-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Give these folks a call, Heather. The Video Pros :: Welcome

My sis used them a few years back to convert a good portion of the 8mm movies my dad had taken over the years and burn them to video/DVD. Some of the reels were in not so good shape and they were able to recover and preserve most of it.
03-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Check out Photo Scanning, Negative Scanning, Slide Scanning, Photo Restoration - ScanCafe.

They are good for me but initially you should try a small batch of insignificant neg/slides and see how it goes for you.
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Scanning Options

Hi,

I put together a comparative list of all the slide scanning services (including my own). It shows price, dpi, country and other relevant facts for each service.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=phRG-JoD0f6N8DrY8b8ZGLw

Lars

Last edited by larsbell; 04-01-2009 at 09:41 AM.
04-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After doing some looking around on my own, I decided to give DigMyPics a try. The services they offer are very similar to ScanCafe, but they do their work Stateside. They're a little more expensive than ScanCafe, but I feel more comfortable keeping both my negatives and money here in the U.S.

Photo Scanning Service | 8mm film to dvd | Slide Scanning Service | Slides to DVD | Slides to CD

I just mailed off my first set of negatives to them this morning, so I'll see how it goes and report back.

Heather
04-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Scanning companies

I have not tried the company you listed in the previous post but I have had good luck with an east coast company for 35mm slide scanning called Discount Digital Art. Image quality was good.
Click here for the slide scanning service
05-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Awesome Service!

An AMAZING scanning service is Channellmedia.com!! They made me a slideshow of my slides as well as a disc with the scanned images on it. They were good quality, and they were fast i got my slides back within 2 weeks. I would recommend them 100%! Their customer service was great i had some questions and they were more than willing to explain it all to me.
05-21-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

How many slides do you have? It might be more cost-effective to buy a Nikon scanner and bulk slide feeder, scan the slides and resell the kit.

If you decide to try that route you need the information in the following URL:
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2123

05-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A while back there was an article in one of the photo magazines about off shore scanning for between $.2 and $.25 per frame

Also when I got my K10 the store (now closed) offered $1.00 per strip if they processed the film.

I went the other direction years ago and bought a minolta damage II scanner. I have now scanned all 4700 slides and 15000 print negatives. It took 4 years but could basically run unattended between scans, which took several minutes each with a carrier that held 6 negatives at a time

I was surprised at the durability of the scanner after 20k plus shots. But be prepared to spend some time