Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #1

Cotton Rag paper?

I saw some prints in a gallery that were printed on Cotton Rag paper with pigment inks.
Does anyone here use this paper? I wondered if it can be successfully used at home with a basic kind of inkjet printer and dye inks? I have a Canon pixma 4200.

04-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
I saw some prints in a gallery that were printed on Cotton Rag paper with pigment inks.
Does anyone here use this paper? I wondered if it can be successfully used at home with a basic kind of inkjet printer and dye inks? I have a Canon pixma 4200.
Cotton rag paper? A lot of papers have cotton content. Classic linen is 25% rag. Classic Crest is a 25% rag with a smooth finish. Cranes Distaff linen is 100%
So what finish was the paper? Linen is a finish it actually looks like cloth. Then there ia a bond finish, vellum finish, laid. What are you looking for?
04-14-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only useful information I can give you is this: If you have the option, printing on 100% rag will help the print last much longer. Cotton rag is naturaly ph neutral, unlike many so-called "archival" products on the market today. If you are wondering about the durability of cotton rag just put a US dollar in your hand - you guessed it - 100% cotton rag.
04-14-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
The only useful information I can give you is this: If you have the option, printing on 100% rag will help the print last much longer. Cotton rag is naturaly ph neutral, unlike many so-called "archival" products on the market today. If you are wondering about the durability of cotton rag just put a US dollar in your hand - you guessed it - 100% cotton rag.
Made by Crane. And you can't buy it you can only rent it for a time. It may be naturally ph neutral but the chemicals used to bleach and process it are not. Unless specified as archival.

04-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used it at home but I have a epson 3800 pigment ink printer ;-)

It should 'work' however it wont last long perhaps, but if you frame it behind glass etc it should be okay. I know of papers that cant take pigment ink but i don't know of papers that cant take dye based ink. Of course it might be too thick for some printers.
04-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #6

Cotton Rag is Great With Dye

I have done quite a bit of research on papers for my Epson r280 dye printer and the best longevity ratings are usually on matt papers that are acid free. I use Red River Aurora Fine Art White and am very happy with the results and price:

Aurora Fine Art White

Red River states that it is compatible with dye printers as long as your printer can feed the paper. Mine does just fine.
04-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've used ilford gallerie series on an hp desk jet it came with instructions on what settings to use on a specific brand
Turned out pretty good.
I got the sampler pack...not sure if it did have cotton rag but something similar. Can't remember its been a few years