Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Crop and print by standards

Hi all

I have what is probably a noob question.

After a crop how do we make sure the picture have the dimensions WxH proportion to be printed/developed probably has no crop had been applied ?

Don't know if I made myself understand ...

Thanks in advance

04-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

yep, you're question isn't the clearest!

However...

if you're going to print something, you generally use the dimensions of the paper to determine pixels dimensions of your image. Say you want to print a 6x4" then pick/determine the resolution you want (say 300dpi) and multiple that by your print dimension, so in this case you'd have 1800x1200 pixels. Crop/resize your image to that and your 6x4 should come out sometwhat similar... I say somewhat because I've found that the printing machines seem to crop a bit more off. I actually use 1812x1208 pixels for a 6x4" (allowing a little extra room around the important aspects of the image.. eg peoples heads) and get back a print that represents what a 1800x1200 image should give.

If you're get prints done commericially you might ask them if any extra is cropped. Printing yourself then just work on the W x desired resolution & H x Desired resolution formula to size to the paper.

Hope that is relevant to what you're asking.

Cheers, Nige
04-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
yep, you're question isn't the clearest!

However...

Hope that is relevant to what you're asking.

Cheers, Nige
It was

There is any "auto" way to do it on photoshop ? or it's by trying ?

Thanks
04-14-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

not sure of the best way (I still use PS V7) but when you use the crop tool ('C' on keyboard) up the top is fields where you can enter values to limit the crop selection to the size you want. Note that this will also resize to suit your selected dimensions, which is fine if you've selected more pixels, but may not be desirable if you select less. Try it and see!

04-14-2009, 05:00 AM   #5

If you select the crop tool in Photoshop you can select the Hight and Width dimensions and the DPI (usually 300 is recommended). When you drag the crop tool it will be limited to the aspect ratio you have selected.

About 1/8" will be cropped off the edges during borderless printing (home or lab). Remember to sharpen the final image with a tool like unsharp mask (1 to 1.3 pixels at 100% is a good rule of thumb). Don't sharpen the original image. Always leave it untouched so that you can prepare the picture for a different size later.

Images from a Pentax DSLR are ready for printing at 4X6 or 6X9 without any work, but cropping and sharpening should still be done for best results.

Gerry
04-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
If you select the crop tool in Photoshop you can select the Hight and Width dimensions and the DPI (usually 300 is recommended). When you drag the crop tool it will be limited to the aspect ratio you have selected.

About 1/8" will be cropped off the edges during borderless printing (home or lab). Remember to sharpen the final image with a tool like unsharp mask (1 to 1.3 pixels at 100% is a good rule of thumb). Don't sharpen the original image. Always leave it untouched so that you can prepare the picture for a different size later.

Images from a Pentax DSLR are ready for printing at 4X6 or 6X9 without any work, but cropping and sharpening should still be done for best results.

Gerry
Thanks all for the help