Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Best photoshop book for photographers?

I'm looking for something not too basic. Something that doesn't just explain how to use photoshop, but how to improve images... The when and why's in addition to the how's...

I'm interesting in possibly Martin Evenings two new books...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ken

04-16-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

the internet....

the hardest part about learning photoshop is forcing yourself to learn new things, like a classroom session.

everything that can be learned about photoshop can be read on the internet, just problem is finding out what it is that you want to do and can photoshop do it.
04-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scott Kelby - The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book For Digital Photographers

I recently picked this one up, but I haven't looked at it yet so I can't give you any feedback. It was highly recommended and Kelby is a highly regarded writer and PS expert.
04-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are far too many Photoshop books out there, many of them not teaching more than the basics, and some that are just poor in explanation.

My suggestion:
The Art of Photoshop by Daniel Giordan

I can attest to it as I have it and have learnt a lot from it.
Daniel's a photographer and long-time lecturer in graphic design using Photoshop.
He presents his tutorials in excellently explained steps that is most useful for photographers.
His second edition is out, but the first one (the one I have) is just as good.

04-16-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I will go with Alan on the Scott Kelby recommendation. I love his writing style (humorous) I have a couple if his books and unfortunatlely like Alan have not given them my complete attention ...yet.
04-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Try this website on for size.

Ron Bigelow Articles

Tim
04-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Scott Kelby's books are really good, he has a great sense of humor and he not only tells you how to edit photos, he tells you in every step why you are taking each step. Extremely easier with his writing style.

04-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

Join NAPP. So many tutorials on the sight by noted photogs. Plus discounts on stuff. Even B & H
Check the link in my sig. My membership is so important to me I pay for it myself when my job won't
04-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

I bought (among a couple others ) the Photoshop for Dummies. I have CS4 and this is a pretty darn good book. It's a reference style book rather than a lesson book which i like. There are two versions, one smaller and more basic and one bigger and touted at 7 books in one (I have the big one). It's full color too which is not common for the "dummies" series. I also have the "On Demand" series book for Photoshop, which is another reference style book, Scott Kelby's book (got free-ish) and Adobe's Classroom in a book. Each one will have little tidbits that none of the others have so I use each of them, depending upon what I'm stuck on. But Photoshop for Dummies is always my first stop.
04-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
vlo
Inactive Account

I would suggest books by Katrin Eisman, Photoshop masking & compositing, Photoshop restoration & retouching and The creative digital darkroom. I have all three and like them a lot.

vlo
04-17-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I will go with Alan on the Scott Kelby recommendation. I love his writing style (humorous) I have a couple if his books and unfortunatlely like Alan have not given them my complete attention ...yet.
I have Scott's Lightroom book, and although I groan at the sophomoric humor (Scott's term!) the way a single premise is assigned a single page is brilliant. He describes his style as being along with you with your camera. Ask him how to keep everything from here to the horizon in focus, and he won't answer with all the gobbledygook about hyperfocal distances and the effects of camera apertures. He prefers to say something like "Set your aperture to f/22".
04-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Here's a suggestion. Go to your local library and see what they have. Check out several books, even if they aren't for your version, just to see how they work for you. Then buy the one YOU like the best. Libraries are great for the try before you buy thing.
04-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Here's a suggestion. Go to your local library and see what they have. Check out several books, even if they aren't for your version, just to see how they work for you. Then buy the one YOU like the best. Libraries are great for the try before you buy thing.
They still have libraries?
04-17-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
mel
Veteran Member

Uhhh, yeah. And actual librarians too. I am one. And let me say, with the sucky economy, the use of public libraries is skyrocketing to an unbelievable level. My personal library has several different photoshop books on several different versions. It's how I found the ones that I ended up buying.
04-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Uhhh, yeah. And actual librarians too. I am one. And let me say, with the sucky economy, the use of public libraries is skyrocketing to an unbelievable level. My personal library has several different photoshop books on several different versions. It's how I found the ones that I ended up buying.
I was just kidding. I use to go to the library 2-3 times aweek. I am an avid reader.