Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe camera RAW upgrade

Hi everybody,
just a very quick question, how can I upgrade Camera RAW in my CS3???

TIA
Peter

04-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Peter
first go to the Adobe downloads and upgrade page. Find the newest camera RAW update. Download it to your Desktop. This file does not automatically install so your will need to copy it to your Adobe program and it is very easy.
Open the file on your desktop and there will be two files you will only need the camera 8Bi file. Then go to computer double click so it will be the following path.
Computer/program files/common files/ Adobe plug-ins/CS3/file formats. You will see a file named camera RAW 8Bi Highlight the file and drag it to your desk top. Take the new Camera RAW 8Bi file and drag and drop it into the spot you just took the other out of. close out of all programs and restart your computer. When it comes back up go back and make sure the file Camera RAW 8Bi is in the files format section and then close out and start Photoshop CS3 The new file Camera RAW will be updated and you will be on your way.
Any problems just delete the file and try again or put the old one back in until you can get it right. it's easy and the way I have explained it you will not have any problems.
Dave
04-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Camera Raw 4.6 update

Last update
04-17-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Latest Camera Raw update is 5.3 according to the Adobe web site.
Any camera RAW updates that they give will work in CS3 and CS4. don't be afraid to install them and think they won't work. They do. I have both CS3 and CS4 on my computer. the CS3 is on a different drive and I have tested the latest camera RAw in both works well. The 5.3 update is adding Nikon and Olie new cameras but includes all the Camera RAW files from the past updates.

Here's the link: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

04-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
Latest Camera Raw update is 5.3 according to the Adobe web site.
Any camera RAW updates that they give will work in CS3 and CS4. don't be afraid to install them and think they won't work. They do. I have both CS3 and CS4 on my computer. the CS3 is on a different drive and I have tested the latest camera RAw in both works well. The 5.3 update is adding Nikon and Olie new cameras but includes all the Camera RAW files from the past updates.

Here's the link: Adobe - Latest Product Updates
hmmmmmm, sure about that ?

I'm with last update for CS3 (v. 4.6) because I installed the last one (v 5.3) and it didn't work out well. Maybe it works for you because you also have CS4 installed ? Or maybe I did something wrong...

Will try again

Thanks
04-17-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you...

Br
04-17-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
jlp
Forum Member

Peter,

The easiest way for RAW (or any other updates) is to open CS3, click on HELP from the navigation bar, then select UPDATES. This is easiest and the most thorough method in that it checks for ALL updates and gives you the option to download/install or not. If your color space is set for Adobe RGB (vs. sRGB), Updates will be grayed out. Go to the EDIT drop-down and set (momentarily) Color Profile back to sRGB, do the Updates thing, and when finished, reset your Color Profile back to your previous selection.

Hope this simplifies staying up-to-date and correct.

Jack
04-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Adobe Camera Raw - should I update?

I use PS Elements 6, not CS3 or CS4, but my question still applies, I think.

I downloaded ACR about a year ago and it works just fine. Obviously, there are newer versions available. I use a K10D and the version of ACR that I have supports that version of PEF files.

I've looked at Adobe's website a few times, but the only changes that I see to ACR are to add new RAW formats to support new cameras. If that's the case, then it doesn't seem very important to upgrade ACR.

Are there any changes in ACR that make it worthwhile to upgrade, even though I haven't upgraded my camera?

04-23-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
axl
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlp Quote
Peter,

The easiest way for RAW (or any other updates) is to open CS3, click on HELP from the navigation bar, then select UPDATES. This is easiest and the most thorough method in that it checks for ALL updates and gives you the option to download/install or not. If your color space is set for Adobe RGB (vs. sRGB), Updates will be grayed out. Go to the EDIT drop-down and set (momentarily) Color Profile back to sRGB, do the Updates thing, and when finished, reset your Color Profile back to your previous selection.

Hope this simplifies staying up-to-date and correct.

Jack
exactly what I did in the end
thanks to all of you for help

BR
04-28-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have done of the above,but in my case I use CS2 with K10D with my raw perference beng PEF.With the K20D in PEF but now when trying to open PEF in CS2 using K20d I get this message
"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

Any takers as to what can be done

cheers
04-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
I have done of the above,but in my case I use CS2 with K10D with my raw perference beng PEF.With the K20D in PEF but now when trying to open PEF in CS2 using K20d I get this message
"Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document"

Any takers as to what can be done

cheers
Upgrade to CS4, since CS3 is no longer for sale (I tried). The K20 isn't supported by the last CS2 raw converter.
Unfortunately, as soon as Adobe introduces a new program, all development on the old one ceases, and cameras released after the introduction of the new version will not be supported by the older version.
On th eone hand, it is annoying, but on the other hand, it's well known that some 90% of Adobe Photoshop software in use does not have a paid for licence, so it isn't too surprising that they don't support legacy software versions.

You could try switching to DNG, but I have my doubts.
04-28-2009, 02:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The last update that was for CS2 did have DNG in it so while the K10d shoots PEF the K20D is shooting in DNG.BTW adobe have a downloadable DNG convertor for the PEF files so when viewable in CS2 PEF sits alongside DNG.Its that or use the software supplied by Pentax so all is not lost

cheers