Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with iPhoto and Raw

I've got a *istDL and every time I import raw photos into iPhoto I get the same problem.

If I try to zoom or do any basic editing EXCEPT crop I get what appears to be the photo superposed on top of iPhoto. I can move iPhoto around under the locked picture but I can't do anything with it. If I crop the photo first,even selecting ALL of the picture then I can usually work on it.

Any clues or solutions. This is on a G5 iMac with the latest version of iPhoto/iLife.

Thanks
VaughnA

04-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
VaughnA, does this happen only with RAW images?

Regardless, it might be useful to clean out your application caches, as there might be some bad data stored there. You can do so by trashing the ~/Library/Caches folder and restarting the machine. Alternatively, you can use the freeware tool Onyx (Google it) to delete caches cleanly and reliably.

You can also test the problem by creating a new user account and importing some photos into iPhoto in the new account. If the problem does not occurr, then it is a problem with caches or preference in your regular user account.
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll give that a try, I have onyx and will give it a go. It does only happen with Raw. With Jpegs everything works just fine. Currently I'm just doing a full size crop on any photos that I intend to do any editing with. At that point I am fine. But I doubt that is the problem. I suspect if it was a cache problem that it wouldn't be there from day one and continue for the hundreds of pictures I've edited.

I may just bail on the idea anyway as I'm processing so many photos I'm considering something else to help in the workflow since iPhoto isn't the best tool. I don't have the bux for Lightroom or Aperture but I'm looking for suggestions under 100 bucks. I may end up just doing everything in bridge and elements.
04-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #4

It just ocurred to me that the reason iPhoto no longer has a problem after doing the full crop is that it is no longer dealing with a raw image, but a JPEG.

But like I said, first try it in a fresh user account and see if it still happens. That will be less troublesome than using Onyx as the first step.

04-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that is the problem. I tried creating a new account and no dice. It almost acts like the video card is acting funky. Here is a screen capture. The big photo is the original size. Behind it is iPhoto which I can resize and move but will not come to the front of the other picture.
Attached Images

04-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #6

I'll check to see if this happens with my *istDL2 and my K20D. I stopped using iPhoto a while ago, but I still have it installed.

Moving forward for you, I would strongly recommend Lightroom, especially since Aperture won't run smoothly on your G5.
04-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found a workaround. If I have the photo as full size (not thumbnails) and click edit then this problem happens. If it is thumbnail and I select edit it seems to work fine. The second example has the small ribbon of thumbnails on top. If the thumbnails are present then it's ok. Strange but I can work around it for now. I'm still going to consider another workflow solution.
04-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #8

Glad you found a solution. For what it's worth, I brought some PEFs from my K20D into iPhoto and had no problem editing them. However, I selected Edit Using Full Screen starting from the photo as a thumbnail. I did not view the photo full-screen first before editing.

04-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I don't really like the RAW controls in iPhoto, even though the decoder is built into the OS. For much better RAW decoding without spending as much money as Aperture or Lightroom will cost, you can get Photoshop Elements and tell iPhoto that you want to use that is your photo editor. It will even send the RAW file. Might be worth a try.
04-23-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I already have elements but have a GIANT iphoto library. Since I'm just starting with the DSLR I might just switch over at this point to using bridge & elements. Thanks for the suggestion.
04-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Inactive Account

You can use iPhoto and Elements together, there's no need to "switch". Use iPhoto as your library and Elements as your editor. Use whatever works best for you, whatever that may be.
04-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I used elements as the main editor for a while but sometimes it's nice to just do a quick sharpen or crop in iPhoto instead of waiting for elements to open for one photo. My iPhoto library is HUGE (10k+ pictures) and on a G5 is pretty sluggish. I'm planning on doing some major housekeeping with my photos. Splitting libraries etc. Hopefully that will speed things up a bit.
04-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I used elements as the main editor for a while but sometimes it's nice to just do a quick sharpen or crop in iPhoto instead of waiting for elements to open for one photo. My iPhoto library is HUGE (10k+ pictures) and on a G5 is pretty sluggish. I'm planning on doing some major housekeeping with my photos. Splitting libraries etc. Hopefully that will speed things up a bit.
Try vacuuming iPhotos database to speed it up.

Create a backup before trying it though.