Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Whenever I do jpg conversions, I have the option to change the DPI I(which I usually set to 300).

Whenever sending photos to clients, I set the DPI to 50, believing (possibly wrong) that the client won't be able to print the photos.

Now, is there a way to easily revert the photo back to 300 DPI and print it or not? I am curious how effective this method is to prevent them for printing the sample shots....

Not sure if important, but usually I submit these samples at 1600x1200 pixels, in order to fit their full screen.

thanks for any clarifications!
Wheeee!!

Lightroom is presuming a print will be made from the file if you are exporting out of the print module. Hence it's sizes relate to that usage.
To keep your workflow intact, yes, setting a low DPI will prevent your clients from making a good print.
Lightroom does the math for you and renders a file that matches your DPI and dimensions to the pixel count required.

So, if you normally print from lightroom as 8x10 at 300 DPI, the finished file is 2400x3000 pixels.
If you drop the DPI down to 50, the finished file will be 400x500 pixels, which is a smallish but OK file to send out if you want to limit printability.

Try this:
Take a "50 dpi" file that you have created out of Lightroom and send it to a photolab for a 4x6 print. See what it looks like, as it will be about as good as your client will likely get from a print. Get a print made from the undown rezzed file as well for comparison.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-22-2009 at 09:02 PM.