Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #1

Manual focus technique- please help

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to improve my manual focus technique to the point of being able to reliably capture rapidly changing subject matter (my squirmy little daughter, for starters). What techniques do those of you who are good at it employ? WIth people, I typically focus on the leading (or better lit) eye. I saw a post by Jun Park who stated that he likes to fire multiple shots while "focusing through" the subject. I also saw that Benjamin Kenarak has "turned off" his autofocus. I currently use a Katzeye screen, which has helped, but I'm still dissatisfied with my lack of ability.

Thanks,
John

04-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
more depth of field will help disguise focus issues... what is your aperture set at?
04-15-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Just keep training. Learn different techniques with different targets.

Manual focusing has always been a challenge. Todays cameras doesn't make it easier. But, it isn't impossible!

Practise. Setup a training program! Make for a target (not a moving one) and start focusing, shoot, unfocus, focus and shoot. Repeat many times. Check the results from time to time and remember what you did, and saw in the finder. The trick is to learn to see how the target gets in and out of focus on the viewfinder screen. When you see an improvement you can get closer. Do it all again. You'll notice improvements. Keep on.

When I take pictures of people moving around I have to think about doing anything that can make the task easier; I have to try to estimate what that will happen, I may try to increase the distance somewhat to gain a bit of DOF, I don't use the split image part of the focusing screen (it's not easy to use it aiming at a face - to me it is easier to set focus on the matte screen), I increase the ISO to be able to use a smaller aperture and a shorter shutter time.

Before taking important pictures I try to learn my equipment. I want it to become a part of me sort of speak. I don't have time to look for stuff in the menues if there is a setting I need to change, I don't want to turn the focusing ring in the wrong direction (at least not repeatedly) and I want to know the limits of what the camera can help me to do and what I have to pay attention to myself.

That's the general stuff. For your post it seems as you are very close. If you can choose what eye to aim for you have decided for a pretty tight composition. You can't have that without paying a price. In this case you'll get a shallow DOF and small marginals for the exact moment of pressing the trigger. Give yourself a brake, back up a few steps and work yourself closer.

I hope this helps for a start, or something. "being able to reliably capture rapidly changing subject matter" isn't easy.

regards,
04-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, guys, that helps. Yeah, I didn't expect a magic bullet- rather, I wanted to know how to work smarter. The fact that I've been shooting wide open a lot with my 43mm ltd certainly doesn't make it easier- I can't help it! I like the "target practice" approach, and I'll direct my energy with that in mind.

John

04-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yea I agree with Jonas, you gotta know your 'space' and anticipate the shot. Prefocus and wait till something interesting happens.

Theres a trick too with candids. Usually when you pull out your camera, people with either run away, cover their face or pose. The thing with manaul is that you keep the distance constant. Say the person is doing something 5m away. Find something else approximately the same distance away and fine tune the focus. Use the other eye to keep track of the person. When you see what you want, pan the camera over...SNAP...and then move on. It takes some practice but you can get really good candids without the person even seeing you shoot until its too late.
04-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Find something else approximately the same distance away and fine tune the focus. Use the other eye to keep track of the person. When you see what you want, pan the camera over...SNAP...and then move on. It takes some practice but you can get really good candids without the person even seeing you shoot until its too late.
I like it. Thanks.

John
04-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Shot that car!

One thing i used to do was sit in a parked car and take shots of oncoming traffic with a 200mm. Eventually i realised that all the cars had to pass a certain point in the road. After focusing on that point and timing the moment the cars reached it +90% of my shots came out sharp with no focus issues. Given that children are so much more unpredictable than traffic its a good timing execise that will help you with anticipation.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 04-15-2007 at 11:46 PM.
04-16-2007, 03:01 AM   #8
db2

trap focus

Hi Button, have you tried trap focus On my istd I use afS, hold down the shutter release while at the same time focusing (make sure the object is out of focus to start with) when focus is achieved the camera automatically fires the shutter. With good light this works well for me with manual focus lenses. cheers Pete.
04-16-2007, 06:21 AM   #9

I usually benefit from red squares (superimposed focus point/s) when object focussed in manual mode.
Regards
04-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
One thing i used to do was sit in a parked car and take shots of oncoming traffic with a 200mm. Eventually i realised that all the cars had to pass a certain point in the road. After focusing on that point and timing the moment the cars reached it +90% of my shots came out sharp with no focus issues. Given that children are so much more unpredictable than traffic its a good timing execise that will help you with anticipation.
LOL STALKER! But yea its a good technique to use.
04-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
db2

red squares

The red squares are showing where in the frame the focus point is, the green hexagon lights up to confirm focus. At least on the istd.
04-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
LOL STALKER! But yea its a good technique to use.
Teehee, you can always shoot outgoing traffic to look less inconspicuous lol
06-18-2007, 06:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

John,
I don't know what lens you are using but you might try a longer lens. The focussing will be more pronounced although your depth of field will be reduced.

I do think that pre focussing as previously mentioned is a very useful technique. When shutter lag is a problem it is almost useless but with DSLR's that is not relevant.
06-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One more thing that hasn't yet been mentioned - after you get about 10,000 or so good, focused shots of your kid, you won't mind if you miss one or two because you enjoyed the moment so much. Getting your child to enjoy posing for pictures is worth about as much as the picture itself.

Oh, and what the hell am I going to do with the 10,000 that I already have?!?

Well, I guess I'll print them...eventually.
06-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #15

I didn't know what it was called before, but I like using 'trap focus' for those quick, candid shots. On my K100D the switch has to be in the AF position for it to work, but it works like a charm. When I've got time to play with the focus, I use MF.