Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
PS CS4 + Camera RAW where is it ?

As a recent convert to DSLR'ing, i want to learn RAW convesrsions, so got myself PS CS4 11.01 and I was under the impression that Camwera Raw was included inside CS4, but i can't see it. Its not under any of the tabs - so i went to Adobe and their download page and saw Camera Raw 5.3 update, so downloaded that and installed it. I thought this would automatically embed itself in CS4 but i still cant see it.

It remains as a stand alone .EXE in one of my folders. Is this how it is ?

So if want to import DNG files from my Cam, will they go to CS4 or the stand alone Camera Raw program elsewhere on my PC ?

Thx !

04-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
As soon as you attempt to open a RAW file in PS, it'll automatically open it in Camera Raw first. After you make your adjustments in Raw, click "Open Image" in the bottom-right to open it in PS.
04-23-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Im not real sure I like how they have that set up, got a feeling it will change (hopefully for the better) in subsequent CS versions.
04-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Niki Quote
Im not real sure I like how they have that set up, got a feeling it will change (hopefully for the better) in subsequent CS versions.

There's no problems. You can open the raw file into Photoshop, or you can save the converted file without opening it in Photoshop at various resolutions, colour spaces and formats.

04-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for info the Wheatfield !
04-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #6

Additionally, you might want to look at Lightroom (also developed by Adobe). It is a raw editor/file organizer itself and fully compatible with PS.
04-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There's no problems. You can open the raw file into Photoshop, or you can save the converted file without opening it in Photoshop at various resolutions, colour spaces and formats.
right, no problems here either
Im just not totally happy with the format, its a comp geek thing =)
Might check out Lightroom too...

04-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Niki Quote
right, no problems here either
Im just not totally happy with the format, its a comp geek thing =)
Might check out Lightroom too...
You guys do tend to over anylize these things a bit.
Don't forget that the majority of us use computers the same way we use cars.
I don't even change my own oil. It's tool that takes me from point a to b, and it had better make it as easy for me as is possible.
At the same time, I like to have some control over the thing, which is why I insist on a steering wheel and a gas pedal, and is also why I use a PC rather than a Mac.
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Raw converter is linked to Bridge, not directly to PS.

If your in PS go to File>Browse and Bridge will open, select the file from the left hand window and all your PEF files will open as thumbnails. Double click on any picture and the Raw Converter will open.

IMHO iPhoto is one of the worst cataloguing programs out there, its not a patch on Bridge which has hidden depths. Did you know it can open and play most any codec of video for instance?

ChrisJ
04-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well i shot some DNG's rather than PEFS, and if i right click on the file and ' open with ' i get the choice of CS4 and a few other things, but Camera Raw isnt on the list, so i choose CS4 and it opens ok, but its Camera Raw that opens it.

Weird - i cant choose it from the Open With drop down list, but if a choose CS4 , then it opens in Camera Raw ?

It must be embedded somewhere
04-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote
Well i shot some DNG's rather than PEFS, and if i right click on the file and ' open with ' i get the choice of CS4 and a few other things, but Camera Raw isnt on the list, so i choose CS4 and it opens ok, but its Camera Raw that opens it.

Weird - i cant choose it from the Open With drop down list, but if a choose CS4 , then it opens in Camera Raw ?

That's correct.
04-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Aha ..thanks bud
04-28-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

yeah camera raw feels a little detached from photoshop itself... it should really just be able to edit the files natively.

i did find out you can open multiple raws at once and apply the same wb etc. I use bridge cs4 to open files usually its a pretty good viewer.
04-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Squier Quote

Yes. ACR is a program within a program. It will usually automatically detect Raw files and open up for those files if you select the files for editing. I had to find out the hard way also. And like Wheatfield said, you have the option to convert the file as well without any PP.
05-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yup, i've been throwing myself into it a bit and have sussed this out now.