Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivera & Claria Inks

What are the pros and cons of these 2 systems? The Claria system has Magenta and light Magenta as well as Cyan and light Cyan in models comparable to equivalent HP models with HP. Is this really an advantage or is it just an additional layer of complication? The Vivera has black, photo black, magenta, yellow, cyan and the Claria lacks the regular black.

Then there is the Epson Ultrachrome system that has red and orange pigments . . . but that is another story I suppose.

05-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Depending upon what HP printer you use, you can also have light cyan and light magenta in the Vivera inks. The newer printers using no light cyan and light magenta have two different dot sizes to simulate light cyan and light magenta. As far as I know, you can hardly see any difference between the two. If you go with the HP B9180 printer, you still use Vivera inks, but you have eight colors. And if you go to a Z3200 printer, you have twelve Vivera inks in the printer. The more color, the more expensive the refill. So far, I can't find third party inks for the latest cartridges used in the five color versions (#564 and #564XL) of the Vivera system. I've been using third party inks in my B9180 and Z3200 without any problems, beside the fact that you need a new profile for every paper you use. The third party ink are a lot cheaper than HP's own Vivera inks.