Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Online Backup

I have about 50gb of RAW files that I want to backup. I'm thinking of either getting an external drive or online. There are quite a few options for web based storage, notably mozy and carbonite. Does anyone here have experience with online backups?

05-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't checked the prices of online backups lately, but last time I did the cost wasn't as good as I wanted. On the other hand, I do have a LOT of unused server space for my web site so I guess I could use some of that.

Nice part of online storage is that it is accessible anywhere and a good provider is probably taking care of redundancy for you.
05-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't Smugmug allow for raw file backup as well (unlimited)?
05-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Got Mozy for two Mac. Mixed results. One (~100Gb) working fine, other (~1Tb) has struggled to make a complete backup. Can't recommend but I don't know if Carbonite, et. al. are any better.

Note, all drives have to be Mac formatted for Mozy to work. Win32, NTFS or other Windows variants not compatible.

I've also got Time Machine running, backing up to external drives.

Belt and suspenders, because family photos may be my most-treasured posession.

05-08-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

This is for companies and big firms, but also provides online solution to small home offices: Iron Mountain - Connected Backup for PC - Register for Service

I'm the admin of this system in our data centers
05-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not trust on-line back ups especially when external drives are so cheap.
05-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
I would not trust on-line back ups especially when external drives are so cheap.
Except an external HD won't help much in the case of a fire or theft.
05-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #8
Forum Member

External drives (hard drives in general) are not at all reliable. Online backup is definitely a better choice unless you have a couple of extra hard drives and some offsite tape backups to boot.

I use Mozy and I feel pretty safe with them -- they were bought out by EMC, a Fortune 500 company and big player in corporate backups, so they're not some fly-by-night company that might shut down at any moment. And it's only $5/month.

05-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Agreed. I bought a 1 TB drive for $100. That should hold me for a bit.

I don't need access to every file I've shot when I'm away from home. I have a few thousand on Flickr, so that can always hold me if I need to show someone something.

I've got a total of 3 external hard drives, plus my internal drive backing up my files. These are hard drives I've accumulated over the years, so as one fails (none have in 5+ years) I'll just replace it with a newer, larger drive. I can create my own offsite backup as well (at a safety deposit box, or my work office) and I don't have to worry about when these online companies go belly up, as they all do. I remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Sony closed down their image site. Same goes for others through the years. I'd prefer to control my own backups.
05-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The way I handle the issue of having my images with me while away from home (actually, even while I *am* home) is to generate medium resolution (1200x1800) JPEG "proofs" of the image I have designated as "keepers" (typically around a third of what I shoot). I seldom back these up because they can regenerated at any time, and a lifetime's suply fits on my laptop drive. Well, I won't fill up the drive during the lifetime of the laptop; my next laptop will undoubtedly have an even bigger drive.
05-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
in theory mozy sounds good but the initial upload of nearly 100gb of data could take weeks. i think i'll do double sided DVD rips for now and send them to my parents and also do a backup on an external drive.
05-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Forum Member

Whatever you do, always have your data in at least two places that are checked regularly. I have seen too many horror stories of people putting their photos on CDs or DVDs for safekeeping and then deleting the copies on their hard drive. A couple years down the road, 1 in 10 of those discs won't read, and it only gets worse later.
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Doesn't Smugmug allow for raw file backup as well (unlimited)?
I don't think smugmug allows you to backup raw files. You can only backup jpeg and depending on the type of account that you have, you are limited to the file size as well. Standard and power user are limited to 12mb PER image and 24mb for pro account.

I use smugmug as my online backup. I also use it to showcase my pictures as well. I don't really need to backup RAW even though I show RAW as well. I just convert them to jpeg at the highest quality and save them there. I rarely go back and work on an image after I process them.

http://www.smugmug.com/price/smugvault.mg
QuoteQuote:
If you want to backup RAW image on smugmug you need to get SmugVault. My use amazon'z S3 for backup.
* Storage costs 22 cents per gigabyte per month. If you upload the contents of a 2 GB memory card, you'll be out 44 cents/month for storage.
* There is a $1/month recurring charge.
* Data transfer in is 30 cents per gigabyte. Data transfer out is 51 cents per gigabyte.
* Monthly addition to your home electrical bill: Zero.
05-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by lunelson Quote
External drives (hard drives in general) are not at all reliable. Online backup is definitely a better choice unless you have a couple of extra hard drives and some offsite tape backups to boot.
Get two or more external drives and rotate them. I have two (different types & brands) and keep one of them at home (where it's automatically synced up with the photo directory).

For big data (like photos), online backup will be slooooooooow. Your fat 10 megabit cable Internet probably has a much, much slower upload speed.
05-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I don't really need to backup RAW even though I show RAW as well. I just convert them to jpeg at the highest quality and save them there. I rarely go back and work on an image after I process them.
Well this brings up an interesting point...do we need to keep RAW files after we've processed them? Think of the space saved.