Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Converting Images to smaller file size

I need to convert existing images to a smaller file size.

What would be the best software/application to use to complete this task?

Thanks,

05-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I think the answer to that (and I'm not trying to be smart) will depend on what you want to do with the images and why you want smaller file size.

Paul
05-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Paul,

if you just want to downsize a batch of images for e-mail for example, then one of those freeware programs named 'image resize' and the likes will suffice. My choice for this is VSO Image Resize.

Me I'm using the gimp (gimp.org) for downscaling of images. It is also freeware but very sophisticated.

Last, if you just take any pic and publish it on the web and the browser is downsizing it, it will remain pure luck and depend on the image content if the pic looks decent or not. Example for this is the 'imgwide'-tag on this very forum (pics have undertitle: Click on the image to view it in a larger size). It is not the forum software doing the compression but your browser.

Best, Georg (the other)
05-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Converting file size is a pretty basic function for most photo software. Virtually anything you have will do it, from Photoshop at one extreme to freebies such as Irfan View or Faststone at the other. From memory, Pentax Photo Laboratory 3, the software that came with your camera will do conversions for you.

05-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are trying to save disk space you can convert your RAW files to DNG using Adobe's free DNG Converter tool - this allows for lossless compression of the images.

There are plenty of discussions on whether you should do this or not, but for me it's a no brainer as I only have a DNG option on my GX-20 and the converter compresses those from 23Mb to around 13Mb per image.

If you let us know what you are trying to achieve I'm sure you will get good advice from people here.
05-19-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Hunt Quote
I think the answer to that (and I'm not trying to be smart) will depend on what you want to do with the images and why you want smaller file size.

Paul
Paul,

I was seriously thinking about posting a picture for this month's contest but according to the rules they need to be a certain size. I did try Photoshop Elements but when I saved as and cut the photo down it did strange things to the photo.
The other reason is that I will email photos to family and need to trim then down. I like leaving the camera at its best settings and taking the photos.
05-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Hi Paul,

if you just want to downsize a batch of images for e-mail for example, then one of those freeware programs named 'image resize' and the likes will suffice. My choice for this is VSO Image Resize.

Me I'm using the gimp (gimp.org) for downscaling of images. It is also freeware but very sophisticated.

Last, if you just take any pic and publish it on the web and the browser is downsizing it, it will remain pure luck and depend on the image content if the pic looks decent or not. Example for this is the 'imgwide'-tag on this very forum (pics have undertitle: Click on the image to view it in a larger size). It is not the forum software doing the compression but your browser.

Best, Georg (the other)
Georg,

thanks for the tip on the software I will go out to their web site and take a look.
05-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Converting file size is a pretty basic function for most photo software. Virtually anything you have will do it, from Photoshop at one extreme to freebies such as Irfan View or Faststone at the other. From memory, Pentax Photo Laboratory 3, the software that came with your camera will do conversions for you.
Wombat,

I'm sure your right about the camera software but I have always been reluctant to install the boxed software that comes with camers it usually not the most stable. I guess I should ask or post a question and see if the software is a quality product.
Thanks,
Kevin

05-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Use any sort of decent software (even freeware like Faststone) and you're set.

Change ppi (not DPI!!) to 72 and the vertical size to 540 pixels.. Keep the aspect ratio constant and apply a small amount of sharpening after downsizing.

Takes about 4 seconds
05-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Use any sort of decent software (even freeware like Faststone) and you're set.

Change ppi (not DPI!!) to 72 and the vertical size to 540 pixels.. Keep the aspect ratio constant and apply a small amount of sharpening after downsizing.

Takes about 4 seconds
Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming by what you stated this would then get the photos down to the correct size for the monthly forum contest?
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What are the size regulations for the entries?
05-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You can also use your basic windows "paint" program.
Just right click on the file and "open with" "paint" (the icon with glass with paintbrushes in it).
You can "save as" once it is opened at "paint" so that your original file won't get resized as well.
"Paint" usually saves it as a smaller size or you can also resize it at "paint"..by 80%, 50% or whatever suits you.
After saving, the size really shrinks a lot!
05-28-2009, 07:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

windows has a resize program

windows has a resize program in power toys, I use. Fast and easy. Right click as many pics as you want. Pick what size.
05-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #14
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like irfanview, nice little free program, but not as hard to use as gimp.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide it has batch capabilities and you can add text. I find this program to be the best for making jpgs for the web as it gives you the options to save in percentages rather than the small, medium and large compression available with Photoshop and photoshop elements.
05-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stl09 Quote
I did try Photoshop Elements but when I saved as and cut the photo down it did strange things to the photo.
The other reason is that I will email photos to family and need to trim then down..
What are the "strange things"? If you give better descriptions, someone may be able to help you.

I've been using Photoshop Elements 5 to reduce photo sizes. IMHO, it works great, especially with the capability of processing multiple files (and multiple directories/folders).

I bought my mom (not living with me) a digital photo frame. Every once in a while, I sent her an SD cards with photos reduced to 800X600 (native resolution of the photo frame).

I also tried irfanview, but the output images from PE5 are much better than those from irfanview.