Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

How to remove color in a background and match a style

Hello,

I have pretty much edited the guts out of the below image and after changing it over and over again I want to start from scratch with the Original. Well, maybe not from scratch if I can eliminate the problems:

The bottom right section has a slight redness to it, and with the enhancements I've made it had made it even more red but the rest of the image i like.

I've got the DNG image in CS4 but i can't seem to get the look I got in LR as it involves boosting the blue sliders which introduces more red ( and changing the red slider doesn't help )

Is there a easy way I can either fix the edited version Or

Extract the dandelion head from the background and somehow get the same affect.

Also, I've applied a blur to the background using the ' cut' tool to select as closely as possible to the dandelion head, to get rid of noise.

I really want to get this Photo perfect so I can print it on A3 when I get the Epson R1900
Thank You

Attached Images

05-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Try this:

In Photoshop, add a Hue & Saturation adjustment layer, and then set to Colorize with the particular hue that you want. Then paint the mask to reveal the unmodified dandelion. You can also set the opacity of the entire layer to apply the effect to a greater or lesser extent.
05-19-2009, 12:47 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have tried that, and it does kind of work but you can tell that the red patch is still present, and the edges don't look perfect...

Thanks anyway. I will make use of this technique in another Photo
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Similar idea to what Jim said, but you could try a Curves layer, go to the Red channel and pull the curve down a bit, then uses a masks to only show it in the one area. Try to use a largish, soft brush at low opacity and go over it a few times.

You might able to fine-tune the effect a little more by playing with the red curve, eg only change the left/dark end of the curve but leave the middle/top part alone.

05-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to use Color Range to eliminate the background entirely since the dandelion doesn't have any blue in it. You could even use the color replacement tool to change the blue to a different blue, or white, or whatever.

Also, check your channels and see if one of them has enough definition in the dandelion to create a selection from it. From there you could create a mask that would allow you to put any color you wanted under the dandelion.
05-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #6

Original Poster
I've tried those methods, but I can't seems to get a smooth transition or the effect I want... Does anybody want to have a go for me
05-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

One rather unsophisticated approach would be to tweak the curves on a version so that the reddish shadow area looks similar to the rest of the background. Then paste the original on a layer over that and erase through with a soft-edged eraser at a low percentage until it looks right. It leaves some bluish tint in the highlights, but more or less equalizes the background.
Attached Images

05-23-2009, 02:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
That idea looks to work, but could you guide me through it please ? It's a long time since I've used Photoshop CS4, as all my work is in Lightroom...

Thank You

05-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
Forum Member

Save original under a new name and reopen original so you have the two side by side. Looking only at the lower right area of the new file, adjust curves so it appears to resemble the blue on the original, sampling with the eyedropper and comparing RGB info. When you think you have a match, copy the original and paste over the new file. Working on the upper layer, erase with a soft-edged eraser at a low setting repeatedly until you have a blend which looks right to you. You will no doubt spend a little more time with it than I did and achieve a better result.

Attached is the lower layer.
Attached Images