Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Export/Import LightRoom2 Catalog -- Unknown Error

Anyone use Lightroom 2 and successfully export/import catalogs?

I need to transfer a portion of my photos to my laptop for a client viewing and upon import of the catalog I get that the catalog cannot be imported because of an "unknown error". What garbage!

I found a few posts on forums on the internet but no apparent solutions.
Just grasping at straws in hopes someone here may have seen and resolved this issue.

Thanks!

FYI, I am transferring about 650 images form my Mac desktop to my Windows laptop.
I've tried exporting with and without negatives. Tried with and without previews.
I've created a new catalog and restarted on the laptop prior to importing.
Each and every time it gets 242 photos (either with or without actual images being available within the catalog), and the same 'unknown error' occurs.

05-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try LR Forums, people there have the personality of a wet fish but they are usually able to help if you're polite.
05-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah,I looked there first. There was a thread that was quite old but the last reply was from March, so not too dead.... A suggestion was made but no further repsonses to whather it was a solution or not.
The suggested workflow is what I tried first and does not work.

I have since been able to export/import sections of the data but one folder (containing the important photos, of course) is still problematic.

Someone also suggested to me to simply open the exported catalog rather than importing? Think that would make a difference? I guess I will try when I get back to the office.

Thanks
05-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried optimizing the catalogue? I find with Lightroom that will fix a lot of what can go wrong.

05-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Turns out simply opening the catalog works, rather than trying to import it.
So there seems to be some bug or problem in Lightroom with regards to importing.

So I have a solution. Of course I have to change ONE photo and will need to re-export and import the entire 15G catalog including images, etc... but for now I have a workaround for the problem and in this case I do not need to add data to an existing catalog.

Yeah, I could probably copy it over, re-add metadata, re-assign to collections, etc... but I can let the computer do its work while I do mine. I just don't want to screw up manually re-setting that crap.

Ugh!