Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 02:58 AM   #1

How to calibrate CS4 and printer

Hi,

I have spoke to Epson about my dark prints, and they are just blaming my monitor as it's backlit. He said that photoshop has it's won calibrator but since I don't know how to use it I though I would seek advice first.

Would using this apparent calibrator in photoshop help with mr printing output of just darken my screen ? I don't mean the actual setting for color space and printer profiles, just what is seen on screen vs what prints out.

Thank for your help

N.Stocks

05-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think what you need first is to think of your setup as one unit - your whole setup, from camera to computer/display to printer needs to be calibrated.

As I don't print anything significant at home, I just calibrate our computers/displays to fit our printing lab, WHCC using a colorimeter to make sure we're all on the same "page" first.

You have a few options here:
  1. Spend a few hundred dollars on a colorimeter package that will do display and print and calibrate your whole setup.
  2. Download a calibrated image and print it directly from the printer (if it has a card slot) and compare to other prints
  3. Try another printer (borrowed perhaps?) and compare prints
  4. Print an image directly from the camera (if it has a PictBridge USB connection) and compare prints
Can you perhaps post one of the "dark" images you're working on?
05-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Printing depends on having accurately calibrated hardware. This hasn't changed from the wet printing era. Not knowing what platform you are running, I can only give advice as it applies to a Windows computer.
If you have Photoshop on your computer, you will have an applet called Adobe Gamma sitting in your control panel.
It is a surprisingly decent little visual calibration program which will bring your screen into fairly close calibration.
Use the tri-colour patches, not the gray only patch.
Be aware that depending on the monitor you are using, you may not be able to get really accurate colour. A lot of inexpensive TN Film panels just aren't any good for digital imaging.
A hint: when you are looking at the comparative patches, squint a little bit.

After your screen is calibrated, it's just a matter of making sure you are using the correct paper profile for the paper in use.
05-31-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
I will take a look at that, having been on the web someone else tried Adobe gamma and has success. When you print from CS. do you have the print setting to perceptual, absolute colometric/relative or saturation ? The Epson guide says set it to perceptual, but changing it between saturations looks god ( on screen ) ...

05-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Get a colormunki and calibrate both your screen and printer...it's not as accurate as an eye one pro for printers, but it's good enough...
05-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'd love one but I can't afford it !
05-31-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by N.Stocks Quote
I will take a look at that, having been on the web someone else tried Adobe gamma and has success. When you print from CS. do you have the print setting to perceptual, absolute colometric/relative or saturation ? The Epson guide says set it to perceptual, but changing it between saturations looks god ( on screen ) ...

The accuracy of Adobe Gamma really depends on how accurate your eye is to determining comparative colour. If you have a good eye, it's very close to being as good as a colourmetric calibration tool.
Generally, you will want to print with the settings at perceptual.

05-31-2009, 11:43 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forget about doing any sort of "visual" calibration of your display. You need either a good spectrophotometer (EyeOne Pro) or colorimeter (XRite DTP94 or Spyder 3) and a good software package. I strongly recommend the ColorEyes Display Pro+DTP94 bundle. Best stuff there is and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I'd start with that first before you go down the road of printer profiling (that'll set you back some $$$ to do it right).

Terry Wyse
WyseConsul, Color Management Consulting
05-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
Forget about doing any sort of "visual" calibration of your display. You need either a good spectrophotometer (EyeOne Pro) or colorimeter (XRite DTP94 or Spyder 3) and a good software package. I strongly recommend the ColorEyes Display Pro+DTP94 bundle. Best stuff there is and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I'd start with that first before you go down the road of printer profiling (that'll set you back some $$$ to do it right).

Terry Wyse
WyseConsul, Color Management Consulting

While a calibrator tool is definitely going to be more accurate, a visual calibrator such as Adobe Gamma will put you very close to where you want to be, and is certainly better than running no calibration at all.
Epson paper profiles tend to be very accurate, certainly more than good enough for all but the most demanding professional use.
As long as the OP stays with Epson paper, or can download profiles for his printer for the paper he intends to use, he will be fine with visual calibration and prepackaged profiles.
Since the OP has already said a calibration tool isn't in his near future, you are effectively telling him to run no calibration at all.
This is bad advice, I'm not really sure why, as a professional, you'd be giving it.

FWIW, while I'm not hanging a shingle out on the web, I've been involved in the photo lab industry for just over 3 decades, and have been the QC guy at every lab I've worked at for the past 25 years.
05-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by N.Stocks Quote
I'd love one but I can't afford it !
If you have a craigslist or something like that, see if you can get someone to come buy for $25 to calibrate your monitor w/ their device. You just need a good color profile to get you in the ballpark once and this will keep costs down for you. Or buy a calibrator and sell it on fleabay after you're done with it.

FWIW, I did the visual calibration (make sure the grey bars show up right, etc) thing and thought I was in the ballpark but when I printed and told them not to fiddle w/ the colors, they didn't look right. That's why I'm suggesting using a calibration device instead...
06-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe Colour Calibration has one big drawback the sensor i.e. your eye, I would agree it's better than nothing, but not by much. Your eye will correct whatever you put in front of it to what you expect to see.

Even an older Spyder from several generations ago will be a lot closer. Plenty of cheap ones on eBay.

Once your monitor is reasonably calibrated you can then proceed onto the next step which is getting the print to match.

Chris
06-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have just ordered a ColorMunki Photo...

If I don't like then I get a full refund. They have a no quibble no questions asked 30 day money back guarantee at color confidence