Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone use Lightroom or CS4 on one of those Atom Laptops?

I was thinking of getting one of those, are they powerful enough?

06-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I use Lightroom on an Asus netbook and while not the speediest thing in the world it works great for me. I don't mind giving up the processing power for the portability of a netbook when traveling. The other nice thing is having a place to store all your photos on long trips when you run out of memory card space

If there is anything specific you want to know let me know and I'll be glad to answer (if I can ).

John
06-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've got it running on a 1.66GHz MSI Windbook for field use (hacked to run Mac OSX though). Performance is in the upper range of mediocre, definately usable - but for heavy lifting I usually wait 'till I get home on a 'real' Mac...
06-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got a Sony TZ31MN with an ULV 1.2Ghz Dual core processor and LR 2.3 installed on it.
It is not the world's fastest, but it works pretty well.
Importing PNG to DNG is rather slow, also exporting RAW to JPG takes a looong time.

- Bert

06-05-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would prefer not to. Not only is the processor slower, but the screen is just too small for lightroom work IMO
06-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Banned

if you have used lightroom before on a higher end machine you will see a difference in the speed in which photos are imported and exported. but with an atom processor you should be able to run it well enough for field use. I assume thats what you want the netbook for? your processor wont be the issue. (the minimum requirment from Adobe is a pentium 4) your problem will be the memory. most of these atom based netbooks have 1 gig of ram, and this only just meets the minimum requirements for lightroom 2.3. I use it on a 2.0 Ghz core2 duo with three gigs of ram and wish it was a bit faster. but since it will berunning XP instead of vista, I think you should be able to run lightroom and photoshop well enough. the small screen will be an issue though.

I have thought about getting a lenovo S10 to accompany my ideapad. very attarctive prices!
06-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
I would prefer not to. Not only is the processor slower, but the screen is just too small for lightroom work IMO
In fact it is still much better than the on camera display.
The biggest screen issue is the right color production. That was the main reason for me to get a Sony instead and pay some more.
Take a SD card with a couple of pictures with you to a shop and compare before you buy.

- Bert
06-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
your processor wont be the issue. (the minimum requirment from Adobe is a pentium 4) your problem will be the memory. most of these atom based netbooks have 1 gig of ram, and this only just meets the minimum requirements for lightroom 2.3.
Good point. I should have noted that I upgraded my MSI Windbook to 2G RAM and 250G HD. Also should have noted that the screen size is less than optimal - you need to set it to a 'virtual' size of at least 1024x768 and scroll around, especially if you want to use ACR...

06-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You need to be careful - not all netbooks are built the same and I'm not just talking memory, display, hard drive.

Some of these netbooks are not built with the poweruser in mind but moreso the elementary school kids that need a wordprocessing, email, and web box to throw in their backpacks.

Before you buy one, check to make sure the video chip is a good one (anything labeled simply "integrated" is probably not worth getting into), that it has at least 2GB RAM and DDR2 (most do) and either XP Pro or Vista Home Premium (many have WinXP Home or Vista Basic).

Otherwise they are great portable machines if you can deal with the typical 1024x600 display.
06-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
You need to be careful - not all netbooks are built the same and I'm not just talking memory, display, hard drive.

Some of these netbooks are not built with the poweruser in mind but moreso the elementary school kids that need a wordprocessing, email, and web box to throw in their backpacks.

Before you buy one, check to make sure the video chip is a good one (anything labeled simply "integrated" is probably not worth getting into), that it has at least 2GB RAM and DDR2 (most do) and either XP Pro or Vista Home Premium (many have WinXP Home or Vista Basic).

Otherwise they are great portable machines if you can deal with the typical 1024x600 display.
I'd say NO netbook is made with the power user at mind and really they shouldn't be. As far as netbooks go they all have integrated, slow'ish graphics cards, and usually come with XP or Linux (I haven't seen a true netbook offered with Vista). As far as XP Pro vs XP Home there won't be any real difference to the typical end user unless you need Remote Desktop "server" or other advanced networking features. Very few of them are expandable past 1.5 gigs of memory.

These are all the things that make a netbook a netbook and not just a really small notebook computer that costs $1000.

John
06-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote

no. most netbooks with the atom processor have 1 gig of memory. and integrated graphics are more than capable of handling photo workflow. how many netbooks are going to have a discreet graphics? my ideapad has integrated graphics and is perfectly capable. I may not have the same options for colour calibration but that can be handeled with 3rd party apps or may not be needed at all. and why do you need XP pro or vista premium? if this netbook is for notebook companion or field duty, XP Home is more than capable. anything more and you would be bogging down the hardware.
06-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Writing this on the 1st gen acer aspire one (well maybe Gen 1A) but it is the first gen Atom.

I'd say absolutely not, so much so I haven't even bothered to run it.

I use FastStone, and UFRaw, and Gimpshop, no problems.

I am waiting till my warranty is either up, or close (at about 8 months now, maybe this summer) to upgrade the RAM to 2GB. However, it voids the warranty, and it is a semi difficult process in that you need to completely disassemble the laptop and go down 5 layers. It should be easy though if you do it.

I've done a lot to optimize my Acer. I downgraded the colors from 32 bit to 16 bit and my mapping software flies. I mostly use the netbook for travel, at work (to get internet access that is unblocked), and to dump my SD/CF cards onto for field deletion and backup (I use an ipod classic as a backup).

Works really well and the 9in wide screen GPS with MS STreets and either Topo or ExpertGPS is awesome!
06-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
By definition, a netbook is small, light, typically under $500, and not exactly very powerful when compared to a standard sized laptop. However, unless you're specifically shopping for small and light, you can purchase a laptop with much better specs for $500.

If money isn't really the concern but you still want to stick to light and small, then there are higher end netbooks like this one - runs on an Atom processor, has Windows Vista Business with XP downgrade option, 2 GB of RAM, gigabit ethernet, express card slot, and nVidia 9300GS video with 256MB dedicated RAM. It still has a 10" display and weighs a measly 3.5 lbs. The only non-netbook thing about it is its price.

However, Buddha Jones is asking whether he can run CS4 and/or Lightroom on a netbook.

Seamuis is right on the money regarding performance and screen size being possible issues. Most netbooks just don't provide for the 1024x768 minimum requirements Adobe puts forth for both programs. Assuming it will install properly, you might just not be able to even fit the entire application window on the screen, therefore losing functionality.

Seamuis, I face the the same situation with our computers - Our home computers are dual core CPUs with 3GB of RAM on Vista 32, using 4GB flashdrives for ReadyBoost and Adobe cashing, and LR/CS4 isn't exactly a speed demon for us. LR on my Quad Core work laptop though, it literally flies.

I just cannot imagine using a netbook to post process images on the run. If all Buddha wants is to have a small computer he can transfer images to and preview perhaps using Irfanview, Picasa, or FastStone, then absolutely, it will work.

Oh, and when I said "most do" I should have separated memory size from type - I was not referring to 2GB of RAM, I was referring specifically to DDR2 RAM. Yes, the most common amount of RAM provided is 1 GB. Just go check out NewEgg's list.
06-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I have two acer asipre one netbooks. Once is the 8.9" and the other is 10.1.
Both have the regular hard drives, not the sold state. Both have the same Atom chip and both have 1gb of ram (the 8.9 has a max of 1.5 and the 10.1 can do 2gb).

I tried cs3 on the 10.1 and it completely crippled the machine. I actually had to pull the battery out. I run cs2 on my 3 year old Toshiba laptop and it works fine.

If I ever got more serious about my photography I would certainly build a desktop and use a larger hi-res screen that would do the work justice.

In short, don't do it!