Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Webpage Software

I recently started up my own webpage, but I'm looking for some software to use to display some of my pictures. I know Lightroom can do it for me, but I think it's somewhat limited, as I've not figured out how to add to a series, or if I want one main page to be able to go to sub pages, I can't figure out if it will do that also.

Thanks in advance.

06-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Lightroom-Blog.Com: LRB Portfolio - Astoundly easy from within LR
The Turning Gate - Pricier but more advanced IMO

And googling "gallery webpage templates" will get you tons of asp/flash ms expression, dreamweaver, and flash templates if you don't feel like starting from scratch.
06-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with any of the packages that are specifically dedicated to creating photo web sites, although I've used the web features of a couple of photo management programs and have been unimpressed.

I think your starting point in any such search should be, what features the software provides that make it better/easier/cheaper than simply using a good photo hosting site like Zenfolio. And I say this as someone who already has my own site that I've managed myself since the very early days of the web (my oldest web page is from 1993). I value having my own site for most of what I use it for (music & music education), but for the photo section, Zenfolio is much easier for me than doing it myself, even with the aid of web-design software.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-14-2009 at 02:33 PM.
06-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Agreed - I am very familiar with web software, content management systems, and image galleries, and up to an extent you can easily do it yourself on your hosted webserver. The problem is it takes time, considerable effort, and you're on your own in regards to updates and management of the site.

If you're into that, then you might want to look at Menalto Gallery as an option. You can integrate it onto your main website or run it as a separate entity on your site.

If not, go with Flicker, Zenfolio, Smugmug or one of the many packaged webaps out there and save yourself the headache.

Last edited by George Lama; 06-14-2009 at 09:06 AM.
06-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at Coffee Cup. They have image galleries, and recently added support for PHP and Java.
06-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't played with CoffeeCup software in ages (last time was almost 11 yrs ago) and I remember it being an HTML editor. Wow, has it grown in all this time!

I wouldn't call it easy stuff, but for someone who doesn't want to deal with Dreamweaver, it's certainly an option.
06-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Evrsoft First Page 2006 is also an option.

06-14-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
I haven't played with CoffeeCup software in ages (last time was almost 11 yrs ago) and I remember it being an HTML editor. Wow, has it grown in all this time!

I wouldn't call it easy stuff, but for someone who doesn't want to deal with Dreamweaver, it's certainly an option.
I got it way back when, as well. It was just an HTML editor, as you say. I've just kept upgrading over the years. The cost has been minimal compared to anything else.
06-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Just use Picassa, by Google. It's free, easy to use and includes limited hosting. You just add your pictures to it on your computer, select the ones you want, and it makes the webpages for you. Simple. If you're ambitious, Cooliris is righteously cool.
06-15-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I like Simpleviewer.. free and you can make galleries from Picasa and Photoshop

SimpleViewer Download

Here's a demo of how it looks: SimpleViewer

They also have other galleries too.
06-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Forum Member

don't forget wordpress...

I like it for what I need it for, and there tons of photoblog themes...

i use autofocus theme
LevelRed Photography
06-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you are on Mac, you can try out iWeb. It is not the most powerful but good enough for personal use. I manage to update my site within two hours playing with the tool.

http://hintheman.com

Thanks,
Hin
06-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I like Simpleviewer.. free and you can make galleries from Picasa and Photoshop

SimpleViewer Download

Here's a demo of how it looks: SimpleViewer

They also have other galleries too.