Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #1

Won't recognize PEF

Sorry if there is already a topic about this, I couldn't find one. I'm having problems processing my photos that were shot in RAW. I just installed a newer version of photoshop and now all of my RAW files are no longer recognized. It says that PEF (Pentax Electronic Format) isn't supported by photoshop and now I can't edit my pictures. Is there anything I can do?

06-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How new is newer? Sorry if it seems like an obvious question... I happen to know that photoshop cs 2 (old photoshop, I know) does not recognize PEF.
06-14-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
Photoshop CS Version 8.
06-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Update your raw converter if you already haven't. Adobe drops support for camera raw pretty much immediately after releasing new versions of Photoshop. Without knowing which camera you are using, it's impossible to say if your camera should be supported by CS, but it sounds like it probably isn't.
There are some free converters out there (faststone, etc), as well as the converter that came packed with your camera.
If you have a legitimate copy of CS (as opposed to a hacked one), you might also consider upgrading to CS4.

06-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have a K100 that I bought about 2 years ago. See, what confuses me is I didn't have to add any converters to my other photoshop, but this one I do. I also can't find the old CDs that came with my camera to install those converters.
06-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the "check for updates" function in Photoshop to see if there is an update to the camera support for that version.