Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
Appreciate the question, examples and solution. Always open to new ideas/techniques
Unfortunately, no one has offered a solution how it is done. Still waiting ...

Yes, keep on learning, and growing.

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Why be so negative... I like it and if don't then you don't have to say "it's not photography"
Agree. I don't hear people who subscribe to Leonardo Davinci's style says a Van Gogh is not a painting.

From other forums, the technique seems a love it or hate it variety, inciting strong reaction from the it-is-not-photography camp.

06-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I really like the style. It comes across more on the "art" side than the "photograph" side (not that the two are mutually exclusive).
What is amazing is how he is able to make the image looks like a mechanically captured photograph, a hand crafted painting, and a computer generated image all at the same time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
They're pretty cool, but I don't like them. They look like drawings.
I think that is the whole point - beyond click and capture.
06-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by song_hm Quote
What is amazing is how he is able to make the image looks like a mechanically captured photograph, a hand crafted painting, and a computer generated image all at the same time.

I think that is the whole point - beyond click and capture.
Exactly...it's why I find them interesting. Is art not taking something raw and creating something interesting and maybe even new from the raw materials? Often combining materials and media of differing types, some never even used in combination before, but taking those tools and materials to create new, interesting pieces is what it is all about.

Every form has it's place...funny how closed some minds are for the unconventional non-mainstream, then again that is why we have network TV, right? Were the inability to imagine, accept and create the norm we would not have ever gone to the Moon, have autos, have computers or even the internet. Then again, who even knows if we have been to the moon or that the Earth is not flat?

Nice find and thanks for the links...something to research and see how it's done!
06-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

He starts with a lot of light. See how his subjects are just totally wrapped in the stuff with an emphasis on the rim and hair lights. I read in an interview once that he routinely uses 8 or more lights on each subject. Once you've got that part down bring up the fill, contrast, clarity and brightness sliders in Adobe Camera Raw then back off the brightness and saturation sliders to taste. The reason the Dave Hill look is so hard to re-create is that he does most of it with his camera and strobes, not his software.

Edit: Oh yea, the other thing I see most Dave Hill emulators missing is the story. Check out the storytelling! That is what really makes Dave Hill so popular (and wealthy). The guy can tell a story and he knows how to get the most out the talented and expressive subjects he uses to do it! If a photographer is unable to study Dave Hill and come away enriched he's got a lot more to learn than a simple post processing technique.

Last edited by GoldenWreckedAngle; 06-30-2009 at 08:10 PM.
06-30-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

well I can tel you that every Dave hill project is a production... there is a lot of matte painting involve and a lot of work... and I will not be surprised if he is not doing his own PP
the photograph is just the skeleton.. I like it for what it is .
to get this look you also need a great stylist, lighter, and at least three photoshop artist one of them with good drawing skills
07-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #21
wll
Veteran Member

This guy does some great stuff IMHO, he is quite a talent.

wll
07-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Redpigeons is right on. A Dave Hill set looks more like a movie production than a still shoot and really, his technique is probably better learned by studying videography than photography. Another shooter that might interest photographers that like the Dave Hill style is Tim Tadder, AKA: The Visual Pimp. There's not quite as much storyline in his images but they are a visual treat... all-be-it a treat that will not agree with everyone's preferred aesthetic flavor.

07-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
They're pretty cool, but I don't like them. They look like drawings.
Does that mean that you don't like drawings?

They don't look like drawings to me - just a different kind of art. To me there is only good art and bad art. The tools to create the art are irrelevant unless you are trying to copy it.
07-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't think anybody ever said it wasn't art. And once again, God forbid one be a naysayer around here.
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM   #25

Aren't most of Dave Hill's "photographs" actually photomontage?
07-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
Does that mean that you don't like drawings?

They don't look like drawings to me - just a different kind of art. To me there is only good art and bad art. The tools to create the art are irrelevant unless you are trying to copy it.
I only like drawings if they look like photos!!
07-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
Have you checked the behind the scenes section?

it ain't easy achieving those results...
07-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I don't think anybody ever said it wasn't art. And once again, God forbid one be a naysayer around here.
Nay.......
07-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The F STOP Professional Photographers Discuss Their Craft Uncategorized

that photo blog is great for studying and reproducing this kind of high end work. compositing is a career of it's own, so you need the right software for quality results.
07-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
The F STOP Professional Photographers Discuss Their Craft Uncategorized

that photo blog is great for studying and reproducing this kind of high end work. compositing is a career of it's own, so you need the right software for quality results.
Hey, thanks. I hadn't seen that resource before. Looks like several of the top players are posting there.