Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A Good Book For Lightroom?

Well, I am now armed with Lightroom - and feeling quite good about that. When I ordered it, I chose the 'downloadable' purchasing method, which is to say that I have no hard-copy user manual (and I hate perusing such via the monitor). Checking for Lightroom guidebooks, on the net, I found that there were more than just a few. I wondered if some of you wouldn't mind chiming in on what books you settled on, and how you felt about them. That could give me some idea as to what I should first consider, seeing as how the local bookstore only had two different books to browse through. I am hoping that there may be one which is as easy to grasp as Bryan Peterson's book on 'Understanding Exposure' (probably not, though )

05-01-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Take a look at this: Adobe Lightroom v.1 Tutorial
It's downloadable video tutorials by two pretty heavy hitters.
05-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm working my way thru Scott Kelby's "Lightroom for Digital Photographers". Pretty user friendly. Some of his shtick is pretty funny, but can wear a bit thin. Overall, not too bad...

Cheers
Ted
05-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #4

hmm...
I've learned Lightroom by just playing around with settings. I mainly use it to fine tune RAW images, and I guess my knowledge the workflow tools would grow if I read up on some features, but I don't really need anything more than importing, collections, and exporting, all fairly self explanatory topics.

03-26-2008, 08:46 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are there Books on Lightroom that cover workflow, the basics and advanced topics published in 2008 or available for Pre-Order that are recommended?
I really need to learn lightroom!
03-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Scott Kelby's book is OK but I would recommend Photoshop Lightroom Adventure by Mikkel Aaland (O'Rielly). A much better book in my view.
03-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Scott Kelby's book is OK but I would recommend Photoshop Lightroom Adventure by Mikkel Aaland (O'Rielly). A much better book in my view.
I've read Kelby's book. Since then, I haven't learned anything new from websites and what not. Not that I know the book front and back, but when I read a tip, it rings a bell.

I'll have to check out Lightroom Adventure, thanks!

03-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #8

Peachpit: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book, The: The Complete Guide for Photographers - $32.00

I have this book, and it is good. plus, if you buy it and register it on the website, you get free updates to the book as they are written.
03-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hhays Quote
Peachpit: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Book, The: The Complete Guide for Photographers - $32.00

I have this book, and it is good. plus, if you buy it and register it on the website, you get free updates to the book as they are written.
great book in my estimation as well, i learned lightroom off this book, though the adjustments themselves are fairly intuitive, some of the file management stuff is mind boggling..........but worth the fight.
06-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I thought I'd resurrect this post in light of the fact that it helped me decide on a book to get to help me get the most out of Lightroom--I went on and ordered Kelby's book. Also, there have been quite a few postings lately dealing with Lightroom, so anybody who's new to Lightroom like me might be interested in picking up one of these books, as well.

There will be yet another Lightroom book coming out in August--Photoshop Lightroom 2 for Dummies. Amazon is taking preorders and I've also requested that the library I work at buy it, so I can take a look at it without having to buy it.
Amazon.com: Photoshop Lightroom 2 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)): Rob Sylvan: Books

HTH,
Heather
06-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

And of course one of the better online resources for LR would be the Lightroom tutorial website of Adobe's Julieanne Kost

It features many videos, pdf instructional sheets and heaps more.

I'd be interest in just how many others had found the site useful. Fantastic resource in my opinion.
06-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Forum Member

alms for the poor wretch with no beta 2 invite

CANCEL THIS!!!

Can anyone reading here help me out?

I expire in a bout a day. Starting to get worried.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by KL Matt; 06-23-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: post no longer valid
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tlfaust Quote
I'm working my way thru Scott Kelby's "Lightroom for Digital Photographers". Pretty user friendly. Some of his shtick is pretty funny, but can wear a bit thin. Overall, not too bad...

Cheers
Ted
You read my mind about this book.
06-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I have Scott Kelby's Lightroom for Digital Photographers, and Martin Evening's Photoshop Lightroom Book. If anyone wants them I would take $20 for the pair + shipping. I quit using Lr a few months ago so these books are just collecting dust on my bookshelf.
06-28-2008, 12:13 PM   #15

Dave, what didn't you like about Lightroom? I've been thinking about getting version 2 once I upgrade my computer (or whenever it's out). What are you using now?

Thanks!