Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
learned a new method of sharpening (PS)

"Discovered" podcasts put out by TPN :: The Digital Photography Show and on one of their episodes, conducted an interview with Scott Kelby. When it comes to Photoshop, Scott knows what he is talking about.

During the interview, he shared the methodology by which he applies sharpening to his images. The biggest problem with sharpening is the "ringing" around edges of high contrast. His method avoids this. (He also shared his unsharp mask parameters. 85,1,4)

What Scott does is convert his RGB images to LAB color. (I'm used to calling this color space "HSI" for "hue", "saturation", and "intensity". LAB and HSI are the same, aren't they?) Anyway, he applies his unsharp mask, or smart sharpen mask to only the "lightness" channel, not the "A" nor "B" channel. What he says you can do is apply the same filter twice in succession without any degradation of the image. Then, he converts back to RGB color space for final output or further processing, if desired.

(Also "discovered" a better way to apply NeatImage noise reduction plug-in. I usually don't use profiles, but instead let the plug-in select a training area. Results are mixed. This time, I processed each LAB channel separately, with pretty good results. The training area selected by the plug-in differed with each LAB channel.)

LAB sharpening method seems to work pretty good. Hard to tell on the image below due to having to size it down for web posting. Pixel peeping on the full-res images really shows how much better LAB filtering is over staying in RGB mode. Whenever I need to sharpen, I'll use LAB color from now on.

Image taken on April 3rd of this year, at just past midnight of a full-sized copy of Michelangelo's David standing in the Piazza della Signoria in front of the Palazzo Vecchio in Firenze, Italia (Florence, Italy).

K10D
DA 21/3.2
P exposure mode
f/3.2
ISO 1000
0.3s (yup, 1/3 of a second, hand held - gotta love that Shake Reduction)
center weighted average metering
no flash

Last edited by volosong; 05-02-2007 at 02:06 PM.
05-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #2

My favorite sharpening tech.

Copy background layer > apply the "high pass" filter on the new copy, usually use between 0.7 to 1.3 value > change the copy layer to "overlay" . If you have a sharpened file and then you want to resize it and post it on the web sharpen again after resizing.
05-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
What Scott does is convert his RGB images to LAB color.
why not just "EDIT -> FADE" after filter to avoid RGB->LAB->filter(s)->RGB as
many people do for years ?
05-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
"Discovered" podcasts put out by TPN :: The Digital Photography Show and on one of their episodes, conducted an interview with Scott Kelby. When it comes to Photoshop, Scott knows what he is talking about.

During the interview, he shared the methodology by which he applies sharpening to his images. The biggest problem with sharpening is the "ringing" around edges of high contrast. His method avoids this. (He also shared his unsharp mask parameters. 85,1,4)

What Scott does is convert his RGB images to LAB color. (I'm used to calling this color space "HSI" for "hue", "saturation", and "intensity". LAB and HSI are the same, aren't they?) Anyway, he applies his unsharp mask, or smart sharpen mask to only the "lightness" channel, not the "A" nor "B" channel. What he says you can do is apply the same filter twice in succession without any degradation of the image. Then, he converts back to RGB color space for final output or further processing, if desired.

(Also "discovered" a better way to apply NeatImage noise reduction plug-in. I usually don't use profiles, but instead let the plug-in select a training area. Results are mixed. This time, I processed each LAB channel separately, with pretty good results. The training area selected by the plug-in differed with each LAB channel.)

LAB sharpening method seems to work pretty good. Hard to tell on the image below due to having to size it down for web posting. Pixel peeping on the full-res images really shows how much better LAB filtering is over staying in RGB mode. Whenever I need to sharpen, I'll use LAB color from now on.

Image taken on April 3rd of this year, at just past midnight of a full-sized copy of Michelangelo's David standing in the Piazza della Signoria in front of the Palazzo Vecchio in Firenze, Italia (Florence, Italy).

K10D
DA 21/3.2
P exposure mode
f/3.2
ISO 1000
0.3s (yup, 1/3 of a second, hand held - gotta love that Shake Reduction)
center weighted average metering
no flash

Hi, HSI and LAB are two different things. rather technical explantion of lab on wikipedia

Lab color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dan margulis is very keen on it and amongst his other books he has one or two on lab

Amazon.com: Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace: Books: Dan Margulis

its not too bad and you can learn a lot about color correction, there are some things much easier to do in lab (and some that are not

and dgrin have a reading group which if your interested you can pick up stuff without having the book.

of course you can just use it for sharpening with less artifacts

Regards
Phil

05-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philmorley Quote
HSI and LAB are two different things.

Lab color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the clarification, Phil. I knew what HSI is, and have used it for some remote sensing satellite imagery "enhancements". First time I used LAB is with this attempt at sharpening. Thanks for the link too. It will take me awhile to get through that one.