Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #1

Tips on taking Baptism pictures

First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have been asked by a co-worker of mine to take baptism pictures of her new born baby in a few weeks. She asked what I charge and I told her nothing since I have never done this before and I just want to take the pictures so her baby's baptism can be documented. She said she would give me some money just to cover the cost of putting the pictures on a CD afterwards and for my time.

It will be in a Basillica, I have never been inside of it but I am sure it will be kind of dark. I have had my K10D for about two months with the Sigma 24-135 f/2.8-4.5, Pentax SMC M 50 f/1.7, and a Zenitar 16 f/2.8. I don't have a flash other than the onboard one.

I plan to just keep the 24-135 on and fire away. I think using Av mode would be best setting the aperature between 2.8 and 5 or so for depth of field and the slightly out of focus background. I want to try and keep the ISO down and hope to not go over 800 with it set to Auto. This I think would keep the shutter speeds around 1/40-1/100. Plus the SR will be an added benefit.

I don't like using flash and prefer the natural light look. I will probably use AWB and possibly set a custom after I see what the first shot looks like.

I am still learning what settings work best for the K10D. One good thing is, my sister is having her confirmation a few days before this baptism. So I will be able to experiment. Anyone have any tips for me? Should I use a different mode? Maybe P with it set to depth of field (now high speed). Or TAv and set the shutter/aperature?

Thanks

05-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote
First, sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I have been asked by a co-worker of mine to take baptism pictures of her new born baby in a few weeks. She asked what I charge and I told her nothing since I have never done this before and I just want to take the pictures so her baby's baptism can be documented. She said she would give me some money just to cover the cost of putting the pictures on a CD afterwards and for my time.

It will be in a Basillica, I have never been inside of it but I am sure it will be kind of dark. I have had my K10D for about two months with the Sigma 24-135 f/2.8-4.5, Pentax SMC M 50 f/1.7, and a Zenitar 16 f/2.8. I don't have a flash other than the onboard one.

I plan to just keep the 24-135 on and fire away. I think using Av mode would be best setting the aperature between 2.8 and 5 or so for depth of field and the slightly out of focus background. I want to try and keep the ISO down and hope to not go over 800 with it set to Auto. This I think would keep the shutter speeds around 1/40-1/100. Plus the SR will be an added benefit.

I don't like using flash and prefer the natural light look. I will probably use AWB and possibly set a custom after I see what the first shot looks like.

I am still learning what settings work best for the K10D. One good thing is, my sister is having her confirmation a few days before this baptism. So I will be able to experiment. Anyone have any tips for me? Should I use a different mode? Maybe P with it set to depth of field (now high speed). Or TAv and set the shutter/aperature?

Thanks
A joke from my parish priest: You know how they make holy water for Baptisms? They boil the hell out of it.
I am glad that you can get inside during your sister's confirmation for some tests. I am afraid that you are might be too optimistic with the ISO of 800 inside a dark church especially with the f4.0 kicking in at some focal lenght on the sigma. I think I would take some test shots on AV or TAv. I would also experiment with the 50 1.7 if you can get close enough to the action. I would also get some camera meter readings before the service starts. The church in which I take alot of photos has a large, bright stainglass window behind the alter that can throw off the exposure if I am not paying attention. I am sure that fellow forum members with experience shooting weddings in churches will share more helpful insights. Best wishes.
05-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WildSioux Quote
Plus the SR will be an added benefit.
SR will not help you w/ all those people who will be moving in the process... specifically that baby will not be playing dead... unless if you just want to take some pictures of the interior inside of that Basilica