Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photo Mounting Question

I hope this is the right forum to ask this-mod feel free to switch it if not!

I am going to enter some of my printed photos in a County Fair photo contest. The only specific requirement is that the photos be "mounted".

Although I know quite a bit about taking photos, I know next to nothing about displaying or mounting-let's say nothing about it!

What would be the least expensive method for me to "mount" my photos for this contest?

Thank you all for your help!

Bob

07-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmpjr7 Quote
I hope this is the right forum to ask this-mod feel free to switch it if not!

I am going to enter some of my printed photos in a County Fair photo contest. The only specific requirement is that the photos be "mounted".

Although I know quite a bit about taking photos, I know next to nothing about displaying or mounting-let's say nothing about it!

What would be the least expensive method for me to "mount" my photos for this contest?

Thank you all for your help!

Bob
Try mounting them on foamcore. Like what is used on large format printing. It's like a closed cell type foam board.
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

We use some sort of spray adhesive to mount photos to foamcore at the studio. It seems to work.
07-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice on foamcore guys!

Does anyone know what the name of the spray adhesive would be that Wheatfield mentions?

Bob

07-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

3m has one. Spray 77 I think. I would look in a camera/photo shop and find one for pictures that won't bleed through. If it's one for sale I would look for something that's archival. I think the foamcore for large format has an adhesive on it already.
07-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks again!

Bob
07-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
3m has one. Spray 77 I think.
Thats the stuff.
Spray the foam core and stick the print to it. It drys quickly enough that bleedthrough shouldn't be a problem, though we do RA-4 prints which are resin coated, so nothing is going to bleed through them anyway.

07-10-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you. I am going to a hobby store chain and they have both the foamcore and spray.

Bob
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Rmpjr7 Quote
Bob
I don't know how big your print is, or what your budget is, but I recently ordered a print on single-weight matboard from mpix.com, and it came out looking terrific.

Print Prices @ Mipix

Mounting Prices at Mpix

Good luck, I'm going to enter in my county fair in Sept, and I need to see what their qualifications are.
07-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used Elmer's Spray Adhesive for my mountings to date. Works great, no bleeding.

Hobby Lobby carries it as I'm sure most other craft stores.
07-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #11

I have tried mounting some prints on foamcore with both brands of spray adhesive mentioned here.
I found that within a day or two, the foamcore developed a slight buckle/curve and has not straightened out.
Any reasons for this or ways to prevent it?
07-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Couple questions to hopefully get you some better replies:
1) How heavy of a coating did you spray?
2) How thick of foamcore are you using?

I don't have any solid answers for you, and can merely offer that I've been using 1/4" acid free board and use a very light coating of the adhesive.
07-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
I have tried mounting some prints on foamcore with both brands of spray adhesive mentioned here.
I found that within a day or two, the foamcore developed a slight buckle/curve and has not straightened out.
Any reasons for this or ways to prevent it?
This happens when dry mounting photographs.
Mount a waste print on the back side of the board to even out the tension on the board.
I suspect you'll find if you spray a board and just let the cement dry that the board won't curl. The print itself is causing the curl.
07-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #14

It was 1/4 inch foamcore and I sprayed the board and the back of the photo because I thought I read on the can that for a permanent fix you need to spray both surfaces. Maybe not?
07-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

Look at foamcore for large format printing. It already has the adhesive on it and doesn't curl. Try getting it from a local printshop if you just need a small amount.