Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A common garden 17" CRT monitor vs an average 20-22" LCD monitor for image processing

My 17" CRT monitor is approaching its last days.
I have a dual monitor setup & I use the better, calibrated CRT (the dying one, at present) to process images.
I understand that only the pricey LCD monitors (roughly above USD 500) can be considered similar in their color/tone reproduction to not-so-special CRT monitors. I also know that ordinary CRT monitors are no longer in production.

I have two choices:
A) A "new" 17" CRTwith no bells & whistles. This offers 85Hz refresh rate for 1024 x768 and lower rates for higher resolutions. (Price: USD60 with a warranty period of 3 years)
B) An above average 20-22" LCD monitor with less than 80% gamut coverage. (Price USD200 with one year warranty, a few dead pixels are considered normal).

I have enough space, so that is not a concern.

Do you think that a common garden 17" CRT monitor can outshine an average 20-22" LCD monitor for image processing work? Would you consider buying a CRT for your work these days?

Thank you

(PS: I did read the earlier discussion on this subject).

07-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I were a pro, I'd probably consider a CRT or a IPS-panel LCD. As an amateur/enthusiast, I don't think the difference is that big of a deal, and I need the bigger/widescreen monitor for other purposes. Really depends on how you otherwise use your computer and how precise you need to be with color accuracy.
07-10-2009, 11:12 AM   #3

Soyo

Soyo (Prive) make some SIPS type monitors that are really cheap for the quality. At Staples in Canada, the 24" Topaz model sells for around $250.00. It pushes red a bit, but is much better than most LCDs at twice the price.

If you view an LCD monitor from above or below and the colour shifts (almost like viewing a negative) then it is not a SIPS monitor. Another way to tell is if the refresh rate is fast it's usually not a SIPS.
07-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you find a decent 20" CRT second hand? There are more than a few available around here but they are too big and heavy to ship very far.

NaCl(I got a 22" sun microsystems CRT for $100 )H2O

07-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Dell make a nice e-IPS 22" panel which is fairly good, using it at the moment to be exact. It is the Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA
07-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments & suggestions.

I have decided (almost!) to buy another CRT mainly due to its very low price.
The Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WA is also available (others are not) for USD 425 plus tax and shipping.
I do not think it can be 10 times better than a 17" CRT.
I hope I am right
07-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bc_the_path Quote
My 17" CRT monitor is approaching its last days.
I have a dual monitor setup & I use the better, calibrated CRT (the dying one, at present) to process images.
I understand that only the pricey LCD monitors (roughly above USD 500) can be considered similar in their color/tone reproduction to not-so-special CRT monitors. I also know that ordinary CRT monitors are no longer in production.

I have two choices:
A) A "new" 17" CRTwith no bells & whistles. This offers 85Hz refresh rate for 1024 x768 and lower rates for higher resolutions. (Price: USD60 with a warranty period of 3 years)
B) An above average 20-22" LCD monitor with less than 80% gamut coverage. (Price USD200 with one year warranty, a few dead pixels are considered normal).

I have enough space, so that is not a concern.

Do you think that a common garden 17" CRT monitor can outshine an average 20-22" LCD monitor for image processing work? Would you consider buying a CRT for your work these days?

Thank you

(PS: I did read the earlier discussion on this subject).
My understanding is that dead/hot pixels have no real relation to the price of LCDs. Even the very expensive NEC IPS lcds could have dead/hot pixels and considered within spec (not to us consumers of courses), and some dirt cheap lcds could have none. I consider it a matter of luck. The problem with those cheap TN panel lcds is not so much about colour (they can be calibrated quite well in practice), but the vertical viewing angles. By that I mean when you tried to adjust the image as precise as you wanted, the top will appear darker and the bottom brighter, while the middle looks just right. This is not obvious for wed browsing or word processing, but becomes very obvious and annoying when using Photoshop and have a large quantity of pics to edit. Unfortunately, I have no idea what lowend lcds might suffer less from this issue. $500 is just the starting point of getting a 1/2 decent lcds (both s-pva (Samsung & Dell) & H-ips (Philips & HP). Double that you could have NEC or Eizo.