Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
You know... if I were Gooshin, I'd have to call you an idiot for that one!

07-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #32
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
Does anybody know what this is?
Looks like 7 bit tape at that.

Colossus, that was a pretty good movie. Seems like it would have been a prequel to the Terminator movies.
08-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will Pentax release a version that is compatible with my VIC 20? I still have the tape drive somewhere.
I had one of those. Sometimes it took most of a tape to load a program. I upgraded to an Apple //e with a 5 1/4 floppy. I thought it was the fastest thing in the world. I had a 1200 baud modem but it wouldn't work that fast on our rural phone lines.
08-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I had one of those. Sometimes it took most of a tape to load a program. I upgraded to an Apple //e with a 5 1/4 floppy. I thought it was the fastest thing in the world. I had a 1200 baud modem but it wouldn't work that fast on our rural phone lines.
I went from a VIC 20 to a Commodore 64, then Amiga 500 and finally an Amiga 1200. The 1200 hundred came with a whopping 32 MB hard drive!

08-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Great computers, those Amigas. I still have an A500, an A1000, and an A3000 around here someplace.
08-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #36

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Great computers, those Amigas. I still have an A500, an A1000, and an A3000 around here someplace.
They were WAY ahead of their time! They were the first home computers that could do pre-emptive multitasking, they had dedicated sound and graphics cards and had a pretty slick GUI. I believe I was the first person to get a CD-ROM on one in Canada. I ended up being a guinnea pig for the software developer in Hamilton who was writing a driver for a Ricoh drive.

Amigas were great for music and video editing. It's too bad that they died out... just imagine where we might be with a modern Amiga system today?
08-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is ppl4?

08-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #38

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
What is ppl4?
Pentax Photo Lab 4.0. It was released with the K-7.

I made an error of judgement by posting a link to a download from a Chinese website, but it turned out to be an illegal copy. Out of respect to Pentax and Adam, I started this thread to make it clear that I will not be distributing copies of the program or the link for the download.

PPL is desgned around Silkypix and is used for RAW conversion.
08-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Photo Lab 4.0. It was released with the K-7.

I made an error of judgement by posting a link to a download from a Chinese website, but it turned out to be an illegal copy. Out of respect to Pentax and Adam, I started this thread to make it clear that I will not be distributing copies of the program or the link for the download.

PPL is desgned around Silkypix and is used for RAW conversion.
Oh. I have a K-7 but never even looked at the software. Would it be an improvement over CS3?
08-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Oh. I have a K-7 but never even looked at the software. Would it be an improvement over CS3?
Well... that all depends on what you want to achieve. PPL4 is slower and less flexible, but I find it gives results that are much closer to what you would get from out of camera JPEGs. You can still do all of the important RAW processing functions, but it allows you to get very good JPEGs without tweaking anything.

It takes all of your camera settings into account and applies them by default with accurate colour rendition. When I say accurate, I mean faithful to the image had it been taken or exported as a JPEG from the camera.

With the K-7, I believe that it will also apply lens correction if you have that set up in-camera.

Gerry