Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
graphicgr8s

What scanner and what settings are you using?

07-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First is your rose totally reworked with clone stamp tool with photo shop 7. also includes pp in 7 as well Levels, contrast, usm adjust and sharpen.
Second includes Noise ware program ran.
Took me longer to remember how to use ps.7 Than it took to do it. Like and use PSE 6 most of the time.
Attached Images

Last edited by jmc7104; 07-14-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Add note
07-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
That looks good jmc. Thanks. I guess I should reboot and go back into Vista when I have this problem again so I can use PS7. After fixing them, I do have them saved on a separate harddrive so I can have access in either OS.

My PSE is version 5. I've been debating about upgrading to version 7 but I would truly love to have CS4.....yeah, right, in my dreams. LOL

Last edited by photolady95; 07-14-2009 at 07:36 PM.
07-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have PSE4 & 6 in Elements but my first was PhotoShop 7. All three are somewhat different to use. jim

07-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've only had PSE 5 for about two months. My brother in law bought it but didn't know how to use it, so he gave it to me. And I've have PS 7, 6, and have had 5.5, 5, and earlier versions by Aldus. I think my first version was 2.5. And out of all them, I liked PS 6 best. I could use "eye candy" with that version.
07-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #21
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I've only had PSE 5 for about two months. My brother in law bought it but didn't know how to use it, so he gave it to me. And I've have PS 7, 6, and have had 5.5, 5, and earlier versions by Aldus. I think my first version was 2.5. And out of all them, I liked PS 6 best. I could use "eye candy" with that version.
Uhm Adobe had photoshop since its inception as version 1 which shipped in 1990. Pagemaker was the Aldus product which was bought by Adobe. It, at one time, was the premiere DTP software until QuackDistress gave it a run for the money. I think PM 5 was the last shipped by Aldus. Pagemaker died off with version 7 and was replaced by InDesign. Now the premiere DTP software.
Aldus developed the TIFF and OPI industry standards.

Aldus also developed Freehand which was the competitor to Illustrator. Aldus did use the Adobe postscript in its programs however.
07-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Oops, you're right. I forgot Adobe has always owned Photoshop. It was Pagemaker that was owned by Aldus. Sorry. Anyway, I still started out with version 2.5 when I started college in 1992. I think I bought this through our journalism department to use on my Mac PowerPC .

07-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #23
Damn Brit

This should have been in PP, Printing and Software.
07-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
You are right Sir. Thanks for moving it Gary. And sorry about that. I'll think next time before I post something like this.
07-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #25
Damn Brit

You are right Sir. Thanks for moving it Gary. And sorry about that. I'll think next time before I post something like this.
07-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
There is no need for higher resolution than that for web use and it is easier to work with in PS because it needs less memory.
I was a little puzzled by this until I opened a document in PS and changed the DPI... I never realized that PS actually changes the pixel count of the document by default when you change resolution. I've normally ignored the DPI until I get ready to go to final format, as the "DPI" is just something you say about an image, not something an image is.

Learn something new every day, eh? Thanks!
07-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #27
Veteran Member

You're right, most do, but PS 7 caused my computer to BSOD, as a computer tech, that's not a good thing to happen to my computer.
What build of Windows 7? I'm running RC build 7100 64 bit, and PS-7 works fine in XPSP2 compatibility mode. I never gotten a blue screen on PS (on this system, I mean), though - have you run an extensive memory test? PS will flush bad memory out of the weeds quickly as it's very memory intensive.
07-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't have a memory problem. If it was a memory problem it would show in Vista because that os is only 32bit and doesn't even recognize all four gigs. But I also didn't try running PS 7 in compatibility mode either. I have not tried to reinstall since that one time, mostly because I've been too busy lately.

QuoteQuote:
I never realized that PS actually changes the pixel count of the document by default when you change resolution.
Only if you are resampling. If you turn off resampling, it doesn't change the pixel amount.
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't have a memory problem. If it was a memory problem it would show in Vista because that os is only 32bit and doesn't even recognize all four gigs. But I also didn't try running PS 7 in compatibility mode either. I have not tried to reinstall since that one time, mostly because I've been too busy lately.
If Vista doesn't see all 4 GB of your RAM, what makes you think that it would "show" a problem in, say, the memory it doesn't recognize? It's fairly common for memory intensive pro apps like Photoshop (or video editing software, or music mixing software) or high-end games to show memory issues that the OS never encounters on its own.

QuoteQuote:
Only if you are resampling. If you turn off resampling, it doesn't change the pixel amount.
Good information, thanks!
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
But Vista does see 3.5 of it and if there was a problem it would have already shown up. There are four modules @ 1gb per slot. And all the memory works fine in these other situations you have posted about. I do play high end games, I do video editing, etc, and I have no problems with them or the memory.

And I'll probably just do what graphics suggested and that is boot to Vista to use PS7.

My Windows 7 RC 64 bit is the same as the one you're running. Vista is the Ultimate retail version which means if I really wanted to continue using Vista, I could wipe out the 32bit version and install my 64 bit version.

And you're welcome for the other info.