07-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
fade in.....violin playing
Thanks, I needed that laugh.

QuoteQuote:
I used 7 for a long time and there are workarounds.
What work arounds?

I can't afford CS4.

07-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

What work arounds?

I can't afford CS4.
Like I said before... run the install in XPSP2 compatibility. Then, after it installs, before you run PS, set the executable's compatibility mode to XPSP2, using change compatibility for all users. That works on my Windows 7 RC build 7100 with no troubles.
07-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The workarounds question was for graphics. I wasn't talking about installing PS7 on this load.
07-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #34
graphicgr8s

What work arounds?

I can't afford CS4.
Depends on what you want to do. Of course I haven't screwed with seven since CS came out. And now I use CS4 and 3 both. So I may be rusty on 7. Heck I may be rusty on CS. I still say if you like PS and want to excel with it than an investment in NAPP is mandatory.

07-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I used to be a member but that was about 11 years ago, prices went up then and I couldn't afford to join them.

I did try again to install PS 7 and this time using it with the compatibility mode. Used it a few minitues and still not entirely satisfied. A few things aren't available that are in PSE. Like Bicubic smoother; the ability to crop with a check mark instead having to click on the crop tool again, annoying but not too dificult. Also no noise removal tool.
07-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #36
graphicgr8s

I used to be a member but that was about 11 years ago, prices went up then and I couldn't afford to join them.

I did try again to install PS 7 and this time using it with the compatibility mode. Used it a few minitues and still not entirely satisfied. A few things aren't available that are in PSE. Like Bicubic smoother; the ability to crop with a check mark instead having to click on the crop tool again, annoying but not too dificult. Also no noise removal tool.
Where are you getting all the noise from?

NAPP has been $99 for as long as I can remember. I started with the the second year they started. That's $99/year. And the seminar in Tampa is in January usually. $79.00 as a member. This year they had an early registration of 69
07-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the noise is coming from the film speed I use. Don't know can't prove it. But on my scanner is an option to Reduce Grain and I've used that the last few scans and it seems to get rid of that noisy effect.

I think when I joined it was a deal or promotion or something like that but it didn't cost me $99. And to you $99 may not seem like much, but to someone on a limited income it can be a lot when that limited income has to pay rent and buy groceries.

07-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #38
graphicgr8s

I think the noise is coming from the film speed I use. Don't know can't prove it. But on my scanner is an option to Reduce Grain and I've used that the last few scans and it seems to get rid of that noisy effect.

I think when I joined it was a deal or promotion or something like that but it didn't cost me $99. And to you $99 may not seem like much, but to someone on a limited income it can be a lot when that limited income has to pay rent and buy groceries.
If you're getting a lot of noise I really think it has to do with the scanner itself. Or technique/settings. I have one of the $99 scanners and it does pretty good actually. Or it did last time I used it. I've got a high end epson at work so guess which I use more.

What film do you like shooting?
07-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
My scanner is an Epson 4490 Photo which scans slides and negatives. Not as good as the one I did have two years ago.

I'm shooting Fuji usually Superia 400.
07-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #40
graphicgr8s

My scanner is an Epson 4490 Photo which scans slides and negatives. Not as good as the one I did have two years ago.

I'm shooting Fuji usually Superia 400.
Film I shoot is generally Kodak. Like the American stuff. I have a feeling you're missing something in your settings when you scan. I am just not familiar with this scanner. What software you scanning in?
07-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #41
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've heard other say they like Kodak, but I like the colors I get in Fuji. Been using it since I first started shooting. I do use Kodak b/w film though.

I'm using the software that came with the scanner.
07-17-2009, 09:00 AM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is a link to my scanner:

Epson 4490 Photo