Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 08:46 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Yeah, I saw that. Someone said one could use the Windows files, so I downloaded them, but they turned out to be binaries. I left a post anyway; maybe something will turn up.

Edit: I just went back to that site, and someone answered, saying the Windows binaries work fine under Linux. Huh. Guess I have something to try when I get home.
Binaries? I just downloaded the ZIP, and I don't see any binaries. Only a few PDFs and two directories containing ICC files.

07-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Okay, I just remoted into my home box and ran

Code:
sudo apt-get install icc-profiles
Pulled it down from the repository.

Now I just have to figure out where apt-get stuck the files!
Maybe to perform a search would help out. I'd use search term "*.icc" on location of /. But why get these profiles if the one(s) from Adobe is/are necessary?

Shouldn't it be possible to simply load such an ICC (pro)file into the GIMP under Color Management options? I just loaded "AdobeRGB1998.icc" into GIMP at the RGB field. It seems to work. Also seems to give no errors if the file is selected under UFRaw. I'm probably forgetting something here.
07-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #18

A note to the OP--if he's still around after all the techies started posting. If you're an amateur like me and running a cheaper TN panel a lot of this doesn't really matter. The important thing is to use a calibration device on a regular basis. This is a must for achieving consistent colours in your images.

IF you have a higher end monitor with controls which actually allow you to set all of the parameters individually then you can do that as the software directs but for most lower end monitors your best bet is to let the software create a profile by itself.

I have a Samsung Syncmaster 2253LW which I calibrate regularly with a Spyder 3 Pro. It's my third LCD monitor and when I first started playing with them I drove myself nuts trying to get all the settings right but once I let the software do its thing I started getting consistent results with accurate colours. To "match" monitors you do need to get ambient light and brightness levels to the same point. I do all my editing on a single monitor in the same room with the same light so I don't have that issue to contend with.

The one thing I play with a bit is brightness. I find that the brightness levels suggested by the software are too much for my old eyes so I always bring the brightness down a bit. Makes it much easier on the eyes but I still get good looking images on screen or when I print.
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
Maybe to perform a search would help out. I'd use search term "*.icc" on location of /. But why get these profiles if the one(s) from Adobe is/are necessary?

Shouldn't it be possible to simply load such an ICC (pro)file into the GIMP under Color Management options? I just loaded "AdobeRGB1998.icc" into GIMP at the RGB field. It seems to work. Also seems to give no errors if the file is selected under UFRaw. I'm probably forgetting something here.
Binaries? I just downloaded the ZIP, and I don't see any binaries. Only a few PDFs and two directories containing ICC files.
The ICC files are binaries; trying to load one into an editor (someone said they were text files) results in: "AdobeRGB1998.icc is a binary, saving it will result in a corrupt file." But, the file command says:

Code:
$ file AdobeRGB1998.icc
AdobeRGB1998.icc: Kodak Color Management System, ICC Profile
so the OS already recognizes it.

Which cool, since the icc-profiles package I mentioned earlier only contains these:
Code:
/usr/share/color/icc/ECI-RGB.V1.0.icc
/usr/share/color/icc/ISOcoated.icc
/usr/share/color/icc/ISOuncoated.icc
/usr/share/color/icc/ISOuncoatedyellowish.icc
/usr/share/color/icc/ISOwebcoated.icc
/usr/share/color/icc/LStar-RGB.icc
/usr/share/color/icc/PhotoGamutRGB_avg6c.icc
And indeed, GIMP seems perfectly happy with the icc files from the Windows zip file.

07-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #20

It is my understanding that binaries are executable standalone programs, but what the hell... if it works, it works. Forget about it!

So how do you have your system set up, Mike? Which exact files have you loaded?
07-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is my understanding that binaries are executable standalone programs, but what the hell... if it works, it works. Forget about it!

So how do you have your system set up, Mike? Which exact files have you loaded?
Well, binaries can be executables, or they can just be data files, libraries, etc. Pretty much any non-human-readable file. Conversely, text files (scripts, for instance) can be both human-readable and executable.

I've loaded some of the Adobe/Windoze icc files, and some of the icc-profile files, but I don't see any difference. Guess I need to run the support software for X, huh?