Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Linux help, please - Photoshop plugins in GIMP

I downloaded PSPI, hoping to install my PS plugins into GIMP (Ubuntu 9.04). Following Tor's instructions as best I could, I opened the folder in ~/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins and pointed the script to the folder where my PS plugins were stored. Everything seemed to go OK, GIMP swallowed it all and fired up without error messages. Now I can see my plugins in the Filter list, but when I click on any of them nothing happens. Anyone know what I've done wrong? There's something in the instructions about WINE, but it's not clear. I do have WINE installed. Am I meant to link pspi with it? If so, how do I do that? Any help much appreciated.

07-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never used PS plug-ins, but your post sounded interesting (and I was bored). I'm using Gimp 2.4, and placed the pspi stuff in ~/.gimp-2.4/plugins, and I made another directory, ~/.gimp-2.4/pspi and placed a PS plug-in in it. Registered the directory with xtns:Photoshop Plug-In Settings. The first time didn't work as I had only placed the .8bf file in the directory. Adding two .dat files that came with the plug-in solved that.

So, in other words, it worked for me. I suggest starting the Gimp from a terminal window, so you can see what errors (if any) are being generated when you click on the plug-in in the menu.
07-26-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks, mate, that was a helpful tip to start Gimp from the command line. It did bring up some error messages that pointed to just what you discovered about missing dlls. I've now managed to get a few plugins to work, though not all. I also discovered at the Gimp users forum that pspi only works with third party pugins, not the ones that come installed from Adobe. The hoops you have to go through sometimes...

The interesting outcome of this exercise is that I've come across many more excellent native Linux plugins for Gimp. Now that the Tour de France is over for another year I'll be less sleep-deprived and can actually sit down with them all and do some work!
07-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can usually find some decent native alternatives to PS plugins. The expensive PS plugins are usually a little better, but so far I've been happy with what I've been able to find for GIMP.

07-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Could you guys document which plugins work? I'm specifically wondering about Portraiture and maybe the Kubota plugins...