Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Did you buy Photoshop, or pirate it?
Yes, I pirated it and I'm proud of it! 710.14%
Yes, I pirated it, but only because it's so overpriced! 2130.43%
I did, but don't now! 1927.54%
No, I don't even take hotel toiletries! 2231.88%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by keyser Quote
Well, they would actually posit that something can't "be" and "not be" at the same time. If the act of checking the "being" could effect the "beingness" the that something could merely be ~considered~ to both "be" and "not be" at the same time!

...and they say quantum physics is complicated...
hahahaha...exactly....and to really "clear" everything up, toss in a read of Being and Nothingness by Sartre...followed by Ishmael by Daniel Quinn and well, you end...well, realizing that you might need to not just iron your eyes but staple them shut just so you never accidently on purpose read anything ever again...

Of course for fun read Shroedinger's Cat by Alec Effinger.

Now I think I'll just go play with "real" Schrodinger's cat...

10-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #92
Forum Member

Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 - Bought
Photoshop Elements 6 - Bought
Adobe Lightroom - Pirated

I use the cheap programs, but hey, they do the job for me.

Off I go now to remove Lightroom...I feel guilty (plus it looks complicating to use!).
10-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #93
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
In your effort to prove a point you neglected one important difference. The Porsche is a scarce physical product, while the software is an non-scarce infinite product. The scarcity and thus the value of the car is (relatively speaking) a true value, the scarcity / value of the software is manufactured.

It costs Adobe exactly $0.00 to reproduce their product, it costs Porsche tens of thousands of dollars to reproduce a car.

So is your analogy fair?

By the way I paid for LR...
When you buy "software" you actually buy the license to use it. You're technically only buying the right to use it. You can't copy it. You can't modify it, you can't repackage it and sell it as your own. So you pirate software? I have a really nice bridge for sale though. If you put a toll plaza on it you can recoup your purchase price and make money with it. Wait. If you did that and someone pays the toll does that mean they bought the bridge from you for the cost of the toll?
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Now imagine that toll bridge charged $3000 to cross and there was another, unmonitored, bridge right next to it which has a sign saying 'do not cross' and no cops in sight...

10-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm always surprised by how easily people can rationalize the theft of intellectual property. I will admit I am surprised even more to find it here, where most of us create digital photos... an easily stolen bit of code.

Would we be singing a different song if someone had taken our pictures and used them without consent or knowledge? But hey, we aren't some faceless corporation, are we?
10-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
I'm always surprised by how easily people can rationalize the theft of intellectual property. I will admit I am surprised even more to find it here, where most of us create digital photos... an easily stolen bit of code.

Would we be singing a different song if someone had taken our pictures and used them without consent or knowledge? But hey, we aren't some faceless corporation, are we?
means of production vs end product

the moral question is on a whole different level, particulary for an enthusiast who just wants to create art.

as has been mentioned, many people who do this for a living go otu and buy a copy, in fact this helps them since they can claim it as an expense.

Last edited by Gooshin; 10-12-2009 at 12:33 PM.
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #97

I used to have Pirated CS4 MC, but have you ever tried pirating it on a Mac? It's not even worth it. The second Adobe Updater fires up, it calls home and deactivates, and to prevent the other applications from calling home, you either need to be disconnected from the internet, or run an app such as little snitch to stop outgoing traffic.

Eventually I got my hands on a company volume license CS4 Design Premium, so thats legitimate. I also have a company license for Aperture. Working at a company that supports graphic artists and photographers has its perks (Doing IT support).

Would I pirate it still without that hookup? Probably, until I could afford Design Premium with the student discount I have access too (Still about $400).

10-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #98

I don't have any pirated software...I just steal computers after they are loaded with goodies.

I don't use Photo Shop..but I have several other programs I paid for.
10-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #99
Veteran Member

I'm with Gooshin here, If I were making money using this product, I'd happilly pay for it (and write it off as an expence). I gain nothing from using this software other than kudos for the end result... I give Adobe Kudos back in return!
10-13-2009, 03:15 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GIMP - Free and open source
QTPFSGUI - likewise
UFRaw - same
Rawtherapee - Free, but not open source

No Adobe or Microsoft nasties on my PC! ;-)
10-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #101

In principle I am against software piracy but big companies like Adobe do themselves no favours. If I buy Lightroom2 in USA it will cost me $299 but if I buy it in UK it will cost £228 = $364. If I try to download it from the USA website I get transferred to the more expensive UK site. That is why I use RawTherapee for which I have been happy to make a voluntary contribution.
10-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by acrbill Quote
Mine is pirated. I can justify it by saying that I only use it for recreational use. If I was a pro I would buy it.
me,too. .....
10-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #103

Old Version of PS Elements

I have a very, very old version of PS Elements that I bought. Recently, I had a virus on my computer and had to reformat and reload programs.

When I tried to load my paid copy of PS Elements I got a message that the serial number was not valid. I'm a bit upset with Adobe but I've been using GIMP and Paint.net and just recently purchased Lightzone. I probably won't go back to Adobe, at least for a good long while.
10-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #104

I received Photoshop 6 as a gift when I started going to college (web/graphic design major).
Versions 7 through CS were pirated.

CS2, CS3 and CS4 have been free through the personal license that my employer receives along with each paid business license they purchase.
10-29-2009, 12:08 AM   #105
Forum Member

I cant vote anymore. Closed? No pirate here. Have to support the good folks putting in the work to create the programs,