Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 04:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Cumbersome? I hope you're referring to the size (yes the V700 is huge!). Do you scan your images as a batch or individually? For web I do my scanning as a batch, 24 shots at a time (takes the V700 some 40 minutes to scan them all at 3200dpi with ICE on, B&W 20 minutes with ICE off) then it takes me 15 minutes to save them, individually correcting light and to some extent colour. Doesn't sound that hard does it?
Ps. it scans 35mm, MF and LF... and everything else you can fit on a A4 paper's size...
Interesting... Does it come with slide frames that I can mount my 35mm / MF / LF positive / negatives on? I would hate having to arrange every single one just like that while trying to avoid dust (this is the main reason I call them cumbersome).

07-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Epson V700 / V750

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Interesting... Does it come with slide frames that I can mount my 35mm / MF / LF positive / negatives on? I would hate having to arrange every single one just like that while trying to avoid dust (this is the main reason I call them cumbersome).
The V700 and V750 come with frames for 35mm slides, 35mm strips, and MF strips. There is also a film guide for laying any size film directly on the glass. The software needs to know the which yu are using because of the change in focus distance.

Eventually I want to get the ScanScience wet mount kit for my V700, which you can get for use with the Epson frames or with it's own frames.
07-25-2009, 05:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
The V700 and V750 come with frames for 35mm slides, 35mm strips, and MF strips. There is also a film guide for laying any size film directly on the glass. The software needs to know the which yu are using because of the change in focus distance.

Don't forget the 4x5 frames that are also included...
07-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a Nikon 50ED (V)...easy as pie...just use defaults.

I like both Nikonscan AND Vuescan...their front ends are different but the results are identical...

Nikon's alleged grain exaggeration is better than not resolving grain..and it's easily controlled, without losing any detail resolution whatsoever, by using "light grain reduction" setting.

The ultra-nice thing about Nikon @ true 4000ppi (unlike Epson's claims for itself) is that it's grain-sharp.

Scan time (NOT including handling) is 1.5 minutes per frame, ICE included. B&W silver scans grain sharp but if you use Nikonscan it's best to scan as if it was a positive, then invert in Photoshop or whatever...otherwise you'll get little white dots. Vuescan doesn't have this issue.

Silver film won't allow use of Vuescan, but if you did ordinarily well with your processing you will rarely have trouble with dust/scratches.

Last edited by janosh; 07-26-2009 at 12:34 PM.
07-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
The ultra-nice thing about Nikon @ true 4000ppi (unlike Epson's claims for itself) is that it's grain-sharp.
Grain sharp is something that the V700 sadly is not. My dream scanner would be a Nikon LS-9000 (or Imacon...) but it's a little out of my price range at the moment.

QuoteOriginally posted by janosh Quote
Silver film won't allow use of Vuescan, but if you did ordinarily well with your processing you will rarely have trouble with dust/scratches.
Don't you mean ICE? As Vuescan and B&W go together well. I seem to have a problem with the "ordinarily well" part because I keep *%¤#¤&¤ dropping the film on the floor when it's wet.
07-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #21

Original Poster
I have only used the Nikon software. Once I learnt it, it worked fine.

For anyone intererested, I'm done scanning so I do have my Coolscan listed in the buy/sell here.
07-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by szk71 Quote
I have only used the Nikon software. Once I learnt it, it worked fine.

For anyone intererested, I'm done scanning so I do have my Coolscan listed in the buy/sell here.
I found your listing, but it was mis-captioned as a lens. You might want to relist so that you can get some traction.

Steve

08-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The secret weapon for scanning silver B&W dust free (relatively) is Tiger Cloth. Browse for it.