Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What monitor do you use for post-processing?

I want to buy a monitor for my photo needs in a month or so, and I'd like to consult with people with expertise

I've read CRT and IPS LCD's were much better than TN LCD's at rendering colors. I can't afford displays costing more than $200-300, so I was considering Dell's Ultrasharp family. Would this be a good choice? Thank you!

07-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I want to buy a monitor for my photo needs in a month or so, and I'd like to consult with people with expertise

I've read CRT and IPS LCD's were much better than TN LCD's at rendering colors. I can't afford displays costing more than $200-300, so I was considering Dell's Ultrasharp family. Would this be a good choice? Thank you!
I don't know if that particular display is good, but I use a 17" Dell LCD display for my Post Processing and I'd love to have a larger display. I think that all good monitors will give you good color, the biggest issue for me is a display that is large enough to see the details of the photo.

jimH
07-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #3

Look here: PRAD | Buyer's Guide
This site has very detailed reviews and also buyer's guide.
Displays listed in the "Displays for graphics work" would be the best choice, but even the ones in the budget section tend to be the more decent ones.
07-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a Dell IPS - 2007FP. This the 4:3 format, not the more common 16:9. I was able to grab a new one off eBay last year for about $175 after 30% live.com cashback. Great monitor... I prefer it to my previous Apple Cinema Display. Dell has a more recent model (22" I believe), that gets favorable reviews and is reasonably priced. Proper calibration is more important than the monitor.

07-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too will be looking at a Dell Ultrasharp monitior great value ,here in Oz its AU$350 for a 22" size screen

cheers
07-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
You might find this site useful:

TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News

Good luck,
07-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I ended up with an S-PVA panel (Lacie 324). So far it has been very good indeed. IPS panels can have a slightly wider colour gamut, PVA panels tend to have better contrast and response times. If all I did with my computer was digital editing, I'd have an IPS panel, but I decided that for my purposes, the PVA panel was the way to go.
I chose the Lacie because they make professional monitors for the photo industry and I figured, probably wrongly, that their equipment would be better for the purpose of editing than that from a company that made more generalized equipment.
I've heard very good things about the Dell monitors.

Right now, I have the Lacie sitting beside a Samsung 225 (TN panel). Both are calibrated to the same standard, the Lacie definitely looks better.

07-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your comments & good advice.
07-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
I have a Dell IPS - 2007FP. This the 4:3 format, not the more common 16:9. I was able to grab a new one off eBay last year for about $175 after 30% live.com cashback. Great monitor... I prefer it to my previous Apple Cinema Display. Dell has a more recent model (22" I believe), that gets favorable reviews and is reasonably priced. Proper calibration is more important than the monitor.
I have the same monitor. Be aware that Dell used two different panels in this model -- one TN panel and one IPS panel. There's a way to figure out which one is in it based on the serial number. Mine was $229 shipped on ebay last year, brand new.
07-24-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
graphicgr8s

I run dual monitors at work, home and home office. All color correction is on a crt. More gamut on a crt.
07-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Good point... a quick internet search will show which are the IPS panels. I believe they have a 'L' in the serial number.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I have the same monitor. Be aware that Dell used two different panels in this model -- one TN panel and one IPS panel. There's a way to figure out which one is in it based on the serial number. Mine was $229 shipped on ebay last year, brand new.
07-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
I run dual monitors at work, home and home office. All color correction is on a crt. More gamut on a crt.
Excellent idea!
07-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I am using the DELL 2007 WFP 16:9 IPS panel. It's a very nice screen but when using DVi it is almost too sharp and it is FAR too contrasty. No matter what I do with my excellent ATI video card I just cannot get the DVI to behave.

Great value at $200 used from a local guy that buys large used lots.