Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mutters Quote
Hey Eagle

God work, but isn't it interesting that the 3200 iso sample isn't too bad straight up?

You must have one of those rare "good" K-7s. ( I have too, btw )

mutters
Do you guys have the NR "off" when using the K7 in RAW?
I find noise issues even at ISO640, RAW files. Of course, that depends on:
How far the subject is and if I underexposed.

JP

12-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Jacques
I have mine set to medium at the moment. Starting at iso 800.
Look, admittedly it's a bit of lottery finding the right settings for that photographic "moment".
I'm constantly mucking about with that.
But, as you alluded too, at high iso, one must get the exposure right!
Bracketing can be your friend here - if applicable.
One thing I noticed, when setting the "shadow correction" to anything but "off", the results are fairly ordinary.
Highlight correction is another thing. I find it works well.
So, yeah, essentially low noise is very dependent on achieving the correct exposure.
Always experimenting!
Have a fulfilling Christmas

mutters
12-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I find it strange that the non processed 3200 looks nice, and I already, wanted to pm you before I saw the PPcessed

anyhow, sending PM to you, a big thanks for such a work..

btw, could tell us how to shoot in raw, I mean what settings for noise reduction to use, and should we use +/- exposure compensation?
12-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Jacques
I have mine set to medium at the moment. Starting at iso 800.Same here, but I had it set at "LOW"; we will see if that makes any difference.
Look, admittedly it's a bit of lottery finding the right settings for that photographic "moment".
I'm constantly mucking about with that.
But, as you alluded too, at high iso, one must get the exposure right!I definitely agree with yu on that. At times though, there is still some noise even at ISO 320 ... and a tiny bit of under-exposition.
Bracketing can be your friend here - if applicable. I seldom use bracketing, but that would be a good idea to try it here and there.
One thing I noticed, when setting the "shadow correction" to anything but "off", the results are fairly ordinary. I left my K7 settings for that at "OFF"; is this what you mean/use?
Highlight correction is another thing. I find it works well. I just turn this on, hopefully this might help a bit too.
So, yeah, essentially low noise is very dependent on achieving the correct exposure.
Always experimenting!
Have a fulfilling Christmas

mutters
Thanks Mutters.
I have answered/questioned within your text ... in blue!
Have a great Christmas too!
JP

12-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #20

It looks as though NN is doing more than just noise removal here - some sharpening & maybe local contrast enhancement as well?

I suppose it shouldn't surprise me, some of the open source noise reduction tools have options to include a bit of sharpening etc with the noise removal as well and its anyone's guess what the commercial packages actually do. I did mentally tag NN as 'just noise eremoval' before though.
12-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gwing Quote
It looks as though NN is doing more than just noise removal here - some sharpening & maybe local contrast enhancement as well?
NN has USM sliders available in its interface, the same tab where you control how much chroma/luminance NR you want to apply and how... 60/1.2 are the default values if I am not mistaken
12-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks Mutters.
I have answered/questioned within your text ... in blue!
Have a great Christmas too!
JP
Hey Jacques
I think it's fairly well known that the K-7 is "comparatively" noisy at low iso.
This is me coming from the K10D btw. So keeping that in mind, from 400 to 3200iso the K-7 kills the K10D.
As you know, it's a different story coming from a K20D.
Definitely give bracketing a go!
What that opens up also is the ability to combine the exposures HDR wise.
That can be done to taste, and it definitely reduces noise.
Yes, I do leave the Shadow Correction OFF.
Certainly try Highlight Correction. To me it's one of the huge bonuses of the camera.

Dark red blue, hey?

mutters

Edit: Recently I had to edit some text out of a photo for a client.
The exif revealed that it had been taken by an EOS 1D at 400 iso.
Man, the noise in that image was incredible - lots of chroma and a good dose luminance.
We,ve come a long way, I tell you!

Last edited by Mutters; 12-18-2009 at 08:55 PM.
01-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Hey Eagle

God work, but isn't it interesting that the 3200 iso sample isn't too bad straight up?

You must have one of those rare "good" K-7s. ( I have too, btw )

mutters
My thoughts exactly about the original photo.
01-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Jacques
I think it's fairly well known that the K-7 is "comparatively" noisy at low iso.
This is me coming from the K10D btw. So keeping that in mind, from 400 to 3200iso the K-7 kills the K10D.
As you know, it's a different story coming from a K20D.
Definitely give bracketing a go!
What that opens up also is the ability to combine the exposures HDR wise.
That can be done to taste, and it definitely reduces noise.
Yes, I do leave the Shadow Correction OFF.
Certainly try Highlight Correction. To me it's one of the huge bonuses of the camera.

Dark red blue, hey?

mutters

Edit: Recently I had to edit some text out of a photo for a client.
The exif revealed that it had been taken by an EOS 1D at 400 iso.
Man, the noise in that image was incredible - lots of chroma and a good dose luminance.
We,ve come a long way, I tell you!
Hi Mutters,
So I did set the camera as:
NR reduction starting at 800 ISO
Set the Highlights correction "ON"
And I will do some test-shooting with bracketing, that should tell me something. Not crazy about merging that to HDR though; I always find HDR to be rather artificial. Can you not just merge the, let's say, three bracketed shots without having to to that in HDR?

Thanks again for the hints. I am still browing through this K7 amazingly complex inners and I find new stuff veryday!

JP
01-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
The original images are not always that good.

Here's another example of before and after. The before shot first is average. Some shots if had are complete write offs. The key seems to be to get good exposure, if it's underexposed, you have no chance.

01-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

After NN, I've actually gotten some decent K20d shots at ISO 800 with ridiculous (+3.5)underexposure, but at 3200 plus underexposure, it does get dicey.
01-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have mine set to medium at the moment. Starting at iso 800.
Does in camera noise reduction work when shooting in raw? I have a K20D and I was under the impression that most if not all of the in-camera processing options were not applied in raw mode because raw is raw, just what the sensor sees, while they are applied when doing in camera jpg conversion. Do I have that wrong? If I do, is there some information about which setting are applied in raw mode and which aren't?
01-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
Does in camera noise reduction work when shooting in raw? I have a K20D and I was under the impression that most if not all of the in-camera processing options were not applied in raw mode because raw is raw, just what the sensor sees, while they are applied when doing in camera jpg conversion. Do I have that wrong? If I do, is there some information about which setting are applied in raw mode and which aren't?
Technically true. Nothing actually alters the "raw" file, though ACR may take the camera's settings for WB and display accordingly.

To use in camera NR, you must save as a jpeg. To use the NN plugin in photoshop, you must open the image in ACR, and then save it as some other format.
01-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, that's what I thought. I guess I read of few of the comments in this thread incorrectly. Quickly going back over the thread, I can't find a specific instance of someone stating they shoot raw with NR set to on in the camera. Must be a memory artifact. Maybe I need noise reduction in my brain.
03-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now on Rapid Share

I'm receiving a lot of requests for the profile, which is great. But involves a bit of emailing, so I've uploaded the profiles to RapidShare.

You can find them here:

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Hope everyone is happy using the profile.