Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I overprocessed this one

Yesterday I made some shots of a friend and processed a few of them, but I can't shake the feeling I broke the limits on this one (on the volume modifying part).
On the left is the camera jpeg viewed in windows picture viewer and on the rest of the screenshot is Photoshop.

The stair artifacts and lack of skin texture are due to 33% zooming in Photoshop.
The funny thing is the processed picture looks more like her than the camera one.
I'd really appreciate to know if you think it's overdone or if I could go further with postprocessing .

Attached Images

08-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overprocessing is subjective.
What it looks like you've done is use the monochrome channel mixer or B&W function in PS with a predominantly red filter applied to it to create the soft skin tones. As a result it cuts out some of the detail in the skin and hair, which either someone likes or dislikes. I personally don't mind it as the intention is to smoothen the skin and create a high-key look, although the blanching out of the red lips as a result makes the portrait stand out somewhat less.
Again, this is a subjective opinion, but no, I don't think this is overprocessed.
08-01-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Given the two shots I think your friend will prefer the second black & white image, as it's much more flattering.

"give the customer what they want"
08-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I agree with Kerrowdown and Ash, it is a flattering rendition done high-key.

08-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the tones and B&W conversion. The softening is a little distracting for me, but as has been said already, it's subjective.
08-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Give her both options, but add one more: add the yellow back into the center of the daisy, while keeping the rest b&w. She might like that.
08-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
It looks like I was overconcerned on this one(I have a lot of things to learn) .
I agree about the softening being distracting but it looks better on higher magnifications.

08-02-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Banned

I will be completely honest. I don't like it. it looks way over-processed. but as said above, its subjective. the female subject doesn't have enough contrast. it looks very flat and dull. note how the flower is completely white, both the center and the petals. that shouldn't be. almost like a strong orange or yellow filter was used. the softening is fine, and is commonly very flattering.
08-02-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

Did you run it through some noise filter? All the skin texture is gone, bland. The jaggies might come from how the software was "smoothing" with sharpening occuring as the last step. There is no depth to the B&W image, way over smoothed. The jaggies on the near vertical edge of the arm appear to be made with a dot matrix printer.

Yes, I think you over processed this way to much. Why is everyone so afraid of bumps and hair? We buy lenses that can resolve down to a gnat's whisker - then smudge everything together to give out of focus, blurry and plastic skin. Why?

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
08-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I didn't ran any noise reduction but it was lacking texture in some areas and he jaggies are not there in the 100% version (Photoshop doesn't have the smoothest resizing algorithms when zooming out). However, I repainted the skin texture back but it doesn't show in this screenshot.
And now that you mentioned it does seem to need more contrast on the skin tones.
I'll fix some of the things you mentioned tomorrow.
And thanks for pointing out some nasty (and good) things (as far as i know it is the only way to learn ).
08-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

Forget about onscreen. How does it print?

Just from what I can see in your screenshot all of your adjustments apply to the entire photo and some may cancel out others. Use the mask to keep things like her hair sharp and her eyes.
08-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here it is with better contrast, some adjustments and proper downscale.
It looks fine printed on A4 matte paper but I got some trouble keeping the slight color tone in the actual print . I printed he first version too and it looks flat compared to this one (thanks for the advices).
I still have some work to do on it (it is supposed to be a present for her) but I feel I'm getting closer.
08-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Banned

certainly better, and I don't want to derail your progress but its still severely lacking contrast in my opinion. of course I love contrast particularly in B&W. (look at my sparse blog for a few examples) but certainly very good overall.
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I visited your blog and I see you really like contrast in B&W (it seems to give power to the pictures) bit I can't turn the contrast much higher because I need to preserve some of the dreamy feeling.
08-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by quantum Quote
I visited your blog and I see you really like contrast in B&W (it seems to give power to the pictures) bit I can't turn the contrast much higher because I need to preserve some of the dreamy feeling.
if that's the look you are really going for, then id say its rather good but im not a big fan of the look you are after. so I guess I cant be of any more real help.