Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post production question(s)

I put this in the newbie section. It might be better suited here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/68810-what-post...o-you-use.html
(same as below)

What post-production software do you use?
I am a graphic design, so I have access to Photoshop. I think works well. I also understand levels and curves before getting into photography.

I look through the "Post your photos" section and found these:
todays wedding client.. and I let the DA*16-50 do the work

I know that it takes a good eye and the right equipment. I am wondering what kind of post-production went into these. (They are awesome btw)

Here are some that took with a Tonina 28-70mm 2.8/F. I realize it isn't the best quality lens.
Thanks Wallyb

I can't seem to get that sharpness or contrast. Most of my photos are well composed, but don't have that "wow" factor. Those photos look 3D to me.

Any advice?

Thanks

08-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
I am wondering what kind of post-production went into these.
try some plugins to get a pseudo-HDR look...

Most of my photos are well composed, but don't have that "wow" factor.
try to post some dull photo (link to the raw file in addition will be a good idea) and ask if anybody here will make it "wow" and tell you "how".
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe you might be referring to devisor's collection of wedding photos.
Now that guy's a maestro, not only in PP, but also in strobist lighting techniques.
His images come out great straight from the camera because of his lighting, and the PP just adds more clarity and flair to his already brilliant images.

Each person's method of PP is different, and it's probably not fair to ask people for their 'tricks of the trade', but as suggested, posting up one of your own may give you some possibilities...
08-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
His images come out great straight from the camera
those were not in-camera JPG and they were postprocessed in addition to the right light and composition.

08-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote

try to post some dull photo (link to the raw file in addition will be a good idea) and ask if anybody here will make it "wow" and tell you "how".

Are there web sharing sites that will let you upload RAW files?
08-05-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Are there web sharing sites that will let you upload RAW files?
for example - box.net
08-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Cool. Thanks
I uploaded a two shots I took:

IMGP3976.PEF - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

IMGP3988.PEF - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

This is what they look like untouched

Attached Images

08-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had a go with the dog photo. In all the versions, I cropped out the shadow at the bottom and tried to lift the shadows as much as I could. Still, the problem is that you have a very dark subject with a very bright background. You exposed well considering the issues, but I finally got tired of trying to keep the background in and just erased it for the last version.

The biggest difference between your photos and devisor's, by the way, is that he has completely controlled his lighting (something that I can't do either). It looks like you had very mid-day, flat lighting, which is why your photos don't naturally "pop" as much as his. One of the things that you can do to fix this is shoot either earlier or later in the day or make sure you that you control the lighting that you do have (i.e. know how to use backlighting, when to overexpose the background, etc).

My post-processing taste is quite a bit different from devisor's, but maybe you'll like something here. If so, let me know which ones, and I'll tell you the steps.

08-06-2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

here is a bit of HDR like touch using Color EFex Pro plugin - not pretending it is great, but just to add something in one click...

or glamour hdr

or make it a little bit low key

or make it duotone like (Silver EFex Pro)

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 08-06-2009 at 02:32 PM.
08-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

I agree that the picture of Lilly is kind of a hard one with the lighting. I really like the Color EFex Pro plugin. On the website it has a 15 day trial. i think I am going to try it.

Thanks!
08-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I really like the Color EFex Pro plugin.
it was just a quick example - you can try something like Topaz Adjust or Photomatix or Lucis or Photowiz ContrastMaster - you name it... do not forget to try every single one before making a decision.
08-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Just looking at the other shot. It poses some real challenges. The background is so cluttered and close to the plant in the foregrounf that it's tough to make the foreground plant pop out from the surroundings. Second is the same thing with the light. Harsh daytime sunlight renders a very flat image with hard shadows. It also tends to add something of a hazy look where the contrast will really drop with many lenses.

So in PS I did the following:
Duplicate the layer and used the soft light blend. Oacity around 75%
Then a bit of curves but in a different way. Just taking the bottom of the diagonal graph and sliding it to 20 (right).
Then with the channel mixer reducing the green a little to then adjust the yellow and blue up.
Finally a touch of levels to darken the image a bit.

Mine:
Name:  IMGP3988_1.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  250.3 KB
yours:
Name:  IMGP3988_.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  77.6 KB
08-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Just looking at the other shot. It poses some real challenges. The background is so cluttered and close to the plant in the foregrounf that it's tough to make the foreground plant pop out from the surroundings. Second is the same thing with the light. Harsh daytime sunlight renders a very flat image with hard shadows. It also tends to add something of a hazy look where the contrast will really drop with many lenses.

So in PS I did the following:
Duplicate the layer and used the soft light blend. Oacity around 75%
Then a bit of curves but in a different way. Just taking the bottom of the diagonal graph and sliding it to 20 (right).
Then with the channel mixer reducing the green a little to then adjust the yellow and blue up.
Finally a touch of levels to darken the image a bit.

Mine:
Attachment 40548
yours:
Attachment 40549
Pete,

That looks great. I think I need to concentrate more on the composition and worry less about the PP. I am still in the learning curve.

Thanks
08-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Pete,

That looks great. I think I need to concentrate more on the composition and worry less about the PP. I am still in the learning curve.

Thanks
of course - you can't change a composition after the fact, but you can always change your PP'ing (just keep the raw file)... so composition always comes first here.