Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to get print sze?

I use an Epson R1800, and have been unable to figure out how to get a specific print size. I want to print to fit the frame at various times but have been unable to instruct the printer to follow my input.
For example. if I want to print an odd size like 14.5wX9.5h, and I cropped to this size in Elements, how can I get this exact size print?
Since the paper can be up to 13x19, it seems that the printer should be able to print any size within that range?
Any help or explanation will be greatly appreciated!
Regards
Rupert

08-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The easiest way is to use the crop tool to crop to the size you want in inches at 360 dpi (native resolution for Epson) and then increase the canvas size to the size of paper you will be printing on.
This presumes you are using some form of Photoshop.
08-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
Thanks, I will try that!
I do resent your comment, " Do something positive for a change"....I find that totally un-American! LOL
Regards
Rupert
08-07-2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

although I don't own either elements or an epson printer, I have with some other forum members gone through hoops trying to sort out print size vs image size issues.

Here are some things to check.

In your editor, you should have a re-size option.

This will allow youo to do a lot of things, but one of them is to set the DPI

Most of the time pentax seems to default to 72 dpi. As a result if you size in inches, the physical size will be very large but at low resolution on the print.

In PSP X2 (which I use), in the resize window you can select to resample or not. Resampling reduces or increases the actual number of pixels in the print using one of several optional interpolation methods. If you uncheck, or turn off resample, you can change the print DPI independantly of the image pixels. I have found some members do not have this ability with their editor.

You should re-size your photo without resampling, and set the DPI to the native DPI of your printer, as wheatfield suggested.

Then you can crop in inches to the correct size and in teh printer dialog box select 1:1 print and center the print on the page.

08-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks, I will try that!
I do resent your comment, " Do something positive for a change"....I find that totally un-American! LOL
Regards
Rupert
As a Canadian, I am totally un-American by definition.