Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need guidance on how to process photomerged joints

Hello,

I'm doing a pano by photomerging 8 images in Photoshop. Here is an example of 3 of them. My idea is to have the pano done and then post process it as a single image (levels, contrast etc). How do I deal with those diagonal joints? I'm not really sure how to tackle this.

Thanks,

08-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Set the camera on manual and don't adjust the exposure between frames.
08-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree with Wheatfield on the initial camera setting. Generally, when you select file, automate, photomerge in photoshop, then select the images to merge, the software will blend the images together seamlessly. I'm not sure how you got that triangular middle image. If you post the original 3 in your pano, separately, I may be able to offer a fix. The other option is using the clone and smudge tools to even out the seams. heres a quick and dirty example of that technique plus a levels adjustment. to do this with all of your proposed images would be quite time consuming.

Last edited by ivoire; 12-02-2009 at 12:50 PM.
08-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
I'm in the office so I don't have access to the original files but I can post them tonight. That is what I did: Automated photomerge in Photoshop. Don't know why or how it did the seams diagonally. My version of Photoshop is very old, don't know if that is a factor. The 8 shots were done in Aperture Priority. I need to check how much the shutter speed varied. I'll set shutter speed manually as well next time.

Thanks,

08-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, make sure you don't use Automatic White Balance. You won't have a color match from prints to prints with AWB.
08-11-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Also, make sure you don't use Automatic White Balance. You won't have a color match from prints to prints with AWB.
Good point. Never thought of that!

Thanks!
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I must admit last time I attempted this type of thing, CS3 performed seamlessly (no pun intended), merged without any clues of where joins were.

08-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

You could create an adjustment mask for the middle shot then adjust levels to get that layer closer. Actually a touch darker. The mask will allow you to apply the adjustment to that layer only. It will also allow you to adjust the opacity and tweak it even more. Another way would be to duplicate that layer and change to multiply. Do that till it looks right.
08-12-2009, 04:50 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the replies.

Here are the original 8 shots (resized for web of course) and the resulting photomerge after some tweaking. Upon close inspection,
it seems to me the frames have some vignetting or something similar, where the edges are darker. I tried cropping the shots to minimize
the overlap but it didn't help. Maybe the grey sky threw the white balance all over the place from one to the next. I also tried adjusting
the mid point (grey) so they would be similar but the luminance in the sky is not uniform within the shot.
These were all shot at Av (f8) and from the exif the first 2 were at 1/125, the rest at 1/160 and the last one 1/200.
While I need to return to do this properly, I think this is a good exercise.
Weather and light were not the greatest to start with.

Thanks,
08-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh yeah, please use IMGWIDE tags around your photos so the forum doesn't get stretched out! ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
My version of Photoshop is very old, don't know if that is a factor.
Since no one has mentioned it, yes, that is *the* factor here. I ran your web-sized images through the latest Photoshop CS4 photomerge, and the results are blended perfectly (if a little droopy on the right end):

If you have Photoshop CS2 or earlier, the blending technology used is very primitive. CS3 adds better blending, and CS4 adds better vignetting correction and distortion correction. Here are my settings in CS4's Photomerge:

If you like to do panoramas, follow the "consistent WB, Av, Tv, ISO, etc." advice of everyone above, and get a dedicated panoramic stitcher like the free Hugin (hugin.sourceforge.net) to do the stitching and blending for you. That would be cheaper (!) than upgrading Photoshop if you are otherwise happy with the version you have.
08-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I agree with panoguy... its your older version of pshop. There is pano software that will do a better job than your current pshop version
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help and for pointing me in the right direction!
I was looking to upgrade to CS3 or later and this is definitely another reason.

Thanks!