Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent thread, thanks to all. I thought I had a reasonable sytem worked out, but as the volume of images has grown I find myself spending much time searching for images. I simply have/had dated directories with dated sub-directories archived and then current working directory as well as directories by subject for processed images with the RAW+JPEG originals copied as well as PP'd TIF and JPEGs ! What a mess it is now.
I knew tagging, comments, etc was the solution, but wasn't sure how to get there. Now I at least have a clue.
I found a used copy of "The DAM Book" 1st Ed. on Amazon for under $10 delivered and ordered it. Since I'm using Linux I don't think the updated details of the 2nd Ed are worth the price for me. I just need the theory explained completely and hopefully I can take it from there. I probably would have stumbled and bumbled around for quite awhile longer if not for this great info.

cheers

08-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Oh, and another question: Any opinions on "archival" dvds?
I've searched around here and elsewhere without finding much really definitive. Choices so far are down to high quality (Tayo Yuden) DVD+R media at @.50 each in bulk or Verbatim Gold DVD-R at @1.50 ea (yikes!) There's lots of discussion of the advantages of +R media and criticism of the value and function of the "Gold" media.
I currently back up to a 500GB external drive and archive RAW files to 2 16GB SD cards which are now almost full. I was thinking the additional expense and longevity of the SD cards was worth it, because wouldn't have to track and redo the DVDs every few years. Now I'm questioning that thought, but still resisting the whole DVD process.

Interesting article here by a photog and SW engineer:
How To Choose CD/DVD Archival Media

tia
09-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now I have another question...specifically for those who catalog using Adobe software. I have gone through the process of re-organizing everything and dumping everything into "buckets."

Now I have to go catalog everything using Photoshop Elements 6. My question is this...I have some archived photos from our old point and shoot cameras that I'd like to lump in with everything else in the catalog. Currently, these photos are ONLY on the external hardrive, in their own "buckets."

Do I need to put these buckets back on my computer's hard drive before cataloging to attach the tags/keywords to these? Or can I leave them on the external hard drive and add them to the entire catalog that way?
03-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #34
Forum Member

Excellent thread. I think this one should be made a sticky. Not sure what the norm is for resurrecting an old thread with my question or if I should have created a new thread but here goes.

I am a hobbyist and shoot with multiple cameras. My photo organization method is severely lacking. How I organize now is by date and event but it is very difficult to do any searches on particular people, places, or points of interest. I would like to be able to add search tags for those words plus the camera I used. It seems like the best way to do this is to organize photos by date and then add metadata to them. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

Also, I plan to start using Aperture. If I add metadata for my photos in Aperture, will the metadata be preserved if I decide to switch to Lightroom or another photo application? Also, will it be easy to migrate a photo library in Aperture to Lightroom or vice versa?

Is it wise to keep my library under Aperture or should I get another software to serve as the "library?" Thanks.

03-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #35
Veteran Member

You're not wrong :-). Continue to organize *files* by date, but organize *information about the files* using metadata - keywords, etc. Metadata can be preserved if it is stored within the files themselves in standard ways - this is what IPTC fields and so forth are for. I assume Aperture can do this, but have no experience with it.

Somewhere in this thread I or someone presumably recommended "The DAM Book". That is absolutely the definitive reference on the topic.
03-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #36
Forum Member

Yes, I actually ordered the DAM Book but my impatient and curious nature is getting to me while I wait for the book to arrive.

Ic, so the metadata is actually stored onto the image file itself. Do people usually add the metadata using their photo editing software? I am using a Mac with Snow Leopard, is there a way to search photos via Finder through their metadata? Or do people normally use their photo editing software to do searches? Thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You're not wrong :-). Continue to organize *files* by date, but organize *information about the files* using metadata - keywords, etc. Metadata can be preserved if it is stored within the files themselves in standard ways - this is what IPTC fields and so forth are for. I assume Aperture can do this, but have no experience with it.

Somewhere in this thread I or someone presumably recommended "The DAM Book". That is absolutely the definitive reference on the topic.
03-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Metadata can be stored in either a database or in the files themselves. Preferably both - the database for speed of searches and to allow searches when the files are not present, th files to faciliate sharing information. How the information is entered pepends on your software. Programs like Aperture, Lightroom, ACDSee, and others are designed to integrate editing and cataloging functions into one application. If your editing programs doesn't have integrated cataloging, then there are separate cataloging programs you can use. The latter approach lets you choose the best editor and best cataloging program for your needs, but you might pay a price in terms of awkwardness of use compared to a program that integrates both functions well. I use ACDSee Pro personally. Photoshop comes with an application called Bridge that can do the embedded metadata but not the database, so most Photoshop users who are serious about organization would be better served with a separate program for that.

03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by greenboy Quote
Do people usually add the metadata using their photo editing software? I am using a Mac with Snow Leopard, is there a way to search photos via Finder through their metadata?
I can't say about Aperture, but in the case of Lightroom, the metadata is stored in the Lightroom catalogue. As such the Mac OS Finder would not be able to perform a search on it. That would be cool, though if Spotlight read Lightroom catalogues.

Lightroom and Aperture are not merely photo-editing tools. They are primarily photo management tools. So, all your organizing and retrieval should be done within those applications.