Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2007, 10:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An upgrade version of CS3 is available for $199. Why buy a full version if you already have 7? You should only need to enter the version 7 sernum or perhaps insert the version 7 CD at some point during the upgrade install. Not sure because I havn't upgraded from CS yet myself.

Also, as you mentioned, there may be limitations on the educational copies. These wouldn't be technical limitations, only LEGAL ones. Most educational copies specify that they cannot be used commercially. So if you plan of opening a business or selling photos on more than a casual basis you could be violating the educational use agreement.

Who'd know? Probably no one but yourself, but your integrity can be a valuable thing.

05-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
An upgrade version of CS3 is available for $199. Why buy a full version if you already have 7? You should only need to enter the version 7 sernum or perhaps insert the version 7 CD at some point during the upgrade install. Not sure because I havn't upgraded from CS yet myself.

Also, as you mentioned, there may be limitations on the educational copies. These wouldn't be technical limitations, only LEGAL ones. Most educational copies specify that they cannot be used commercially. So if you plan of opening a business or selling photos on more than a casual basis you could be violating the educational use agreement.

Who'd know? Probably no one but yourself, but your integrity can be a valuable thing.
Hi Mike.

I wish that 'upgrading' was a reality for me but, unfortunately, it is not. You see, Photoshop 7 was given to me by a friend, some years ago. He didn't fool with it much, at all, and (if memory serves me correct) decided on something far easier to work with (someone had given it to him, and he thought that I might like it). I had dabbled with it, just a little, until I bought my K10D. That is when my interest in it really grew.

Yes, I wish that I could use it to upgrade to CS3. If it were possible, I'd do it RIGHT NOW...THIS MINUTE . But, I will have to see about that academic discount when my wife enters school. It is interesting, what you've said about problems arising through making money with the academic versions of that program. You are right when you said that no one would know about what I was doing with it, and that the real issue would lie within the caliber of my moral fiber. I have to feel comfortable, real & right about whatever it is that I am doing - which is why I have to step away from Photoshop 7. It was OK, earlier, but that was when I was just feeling the program out. But I just couldn't hang on to using it - not now, as I am focused on earning some degree of income with what I'm doing. If that would be an issue with the registered, but academic version of CS3 also, then I would just have to wait until such time as I could afford the FULL version of CS3. That's a Lot-a Lot-a-Lot-a Lot-a Lot-a money, though .

Thanks.
07-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Other than that it's the "latest and (?)greatest(?)", what is so much greater about CS3 than CS2?

...but that's just me. I'm suspicious of all new versions of software. CS2 is proven, and who knows what bugs/issues CS3 might have? If one is hesitant to upgrade from XP to Vista (as I am as well), why wouldn't the same apply to CS3. If one can justify the cost factor as well. Personally I'm just fine w/ CS2, at a bargain compared to new version. When CS4 comes out, then maybe I'll look towards CS3.

Only issue I have with CS2 is optimising my ancient workstation so that it runs the program efficiently!