Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 02:32 AM   #1

System requirements for lightroom

Can anyone advise of the minimum spec for a PC to run lightroom reasonably well. I like the software but need to get my system up to speed before spashing out on software.
Has anyone had experiences good or bad with different video cards etc.
Budget is an issue so I hope to get it right first time.

cheers

noobie

08-15-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a simple Google "lightroom system requirements" will garner you this link:

Lightroom System Requirements
08-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe has a 30 day free trial on its products. Download the trial first to see if it will run. I did that with Premiere, the video editing program, and found it would not run on my system without an upgrade. Actually, I do that now with any software that I am thinking of buying that has a trial version. I'm running a 7 yr. old 2.4Gh P4 system. I'm still getting by. I added memory and a larger hard drive and it's still hanging in there.
08-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by GrahamD Quote
Can anyone advise of the minimum spec for a PC to run lightroom reasonably well. I like the software but need to get my system up to speed before spashing out on software.
Has anyone had experiences good or bad with different video cards etc.
Budget is an issue so I hope to get it right first time.

cheers

noobie
While I am not the most intense user of Lightroom by any means I am running it on a laptop without a dedicated video card no problem.

-Dell Latitude Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 (2.40GHz, 3M L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
-Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD With Express Card

This was relativity inexpensive, got it for less than I paid for my K100D a couple of years ago.

08-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
The Abode site is not too specific

Just mentions P4 win XP etc not CPU speed for minimum or recommended (like on come games.
I am running the 30 day trial, on my home PC it runs like a dog (P4 2.8) but the system does has issues so Lightroom may not be to blame.
My work laptop is a much faster machine and runs it alot better but the home PC is where I need it.
IT looks like its reasonably friendly software without the "when running xxx brand" issues.
So I think a middle road CPU with middle grade graphics and pair of mirrored big as possible drives should suit.

regards

noobie about to explain bill on credit card to missus
08-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #6

I'm not sure it does use your graphics card for anything intensive. My PC has a P4 2.8Ghz CPU with onboard graphics (192Mb shared memory) and it runs very well. I think lots of memory (and 4Gb is cheap at todays prices) with a couple of reasonable hard disks is all you need ...

I have my photos and Lightroom catalogue on separate physical hard disk drives which helps a little.
08-17-2009, 12:51 AM   #7

Graphic requirements are nor intensive. My Radeon 3400 series ($Aust 40 has no issues. Plenty of RAM, I have 4GB (WIN XPSP3 32 BIT) can only address about 3GB but when I boot in Windows 7 RTM *free download) installed the 64 BIT version my AMD quad CPU 2.2 GHz which is quite modest really flies.
For photo editing, any program, frame rate is irrevalent. Plenty of memory and disk space.

08-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had an inexpensive Toshiba Laptop, typing on it now, running at close to 1.6 Ghz processor with 1 gig RAM. Then upgraded it to 2 gig RAM and it seemed to run much faster, until I got my K20 with those 14 Mbyte images. In the library mode, there are times now with certain folders that the Loupe (single picture) mode of Library won't display and i have to go to the Develop Mode. Apparently the thumbnails in the library mode use up so much memory that it hampers the loupe mode.

Even in Develop mode, the "sharpening and noise" window sometimes won't display, i assume because the computer is running out of memory.

Yesterday bought a 2.1 ghz Toshiba duo core laptop with 4 gig memory running Vista with a guaranteed upgrade to Windows 7 from BestBuy. Sales person, who seemed very knowledgeable, checked on the computer and says it can be upgraded to 8 gigs of memory. He also said that the new Windows 7 requires only about 400 megabyes of RAM when operating compared to the 1.3 gigs of memory of Vista, so he though the 4 megabyes of this Toshiba would work just fine. Also told me a special graphics card not required or needed for photos, only video.

Any comments on this info appreciated. I don't mind spending money on lenses, just don't like to spend it onc computers

Phil

Last edited by philbaum; 08-19-2009 at 12:13 PM.
08-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am somewhat baffled by the requirements also. On my laptop (XP Home) 1.7 GHz single core, 2 GB ram) it runs great. On my desktop (3 GHz Dual Core, 3 GB ram) I can just about go to lunch and come back while it is loading. OK, maybe a little hyperbole there but it is REALLY slow.
08-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #10

Paralax, I have and AND PHENOM 9550 QUAD CORE CPU (2.2GHz) AM2+, 4GB run of the mill Kingston DDR2 RAM (about $A200 for the 4GB), a Radeon 3400 series ASUS card, 2 x 500GB SATA2 WD drives, 1 x 1TB WD SATA2.
I use VIPRE antivirus (comparitively new but very small footprint and next to no overhead imposed on the system.
What else matters! Oh, I run Ccleaner daily.
Most of my folders have 2-300 plus images. Keying <ctrl>+<right arrow> brings next image up in 1-2 seconds (K20 DNG) and the image updates / sharpens in another second or 2.
I believe that plenty of RAM and fast HDD access (SATA2) and plenty of it is the key. BTW The Adobe apps are fullu multi-processor aware and have been for some time.
You get what you pay for.
Hope this helps.