Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #1

Can ACDSEE Pro3 do this?

I'm trying out the ACDSEE Pro3 beta.

I'd like to be able to search for images based on what lens was used for the shot. Is it possible to do this?

I thought maybe use "focal length" but can't see how to specify a range (eg. 18-55, or <55)

Am is missing something basic here or can't it be done?

08-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not familiar with your program, but I'll offer my thought since no one has replied yet and maybe it will help. The camera records the lens info in the EXIF, so at a theoretical level, this is possible. I can view (and I think sort by, but I haven't tried) the lens info in Adobe Bridge CS3, for example. Try viewing all the EXIF data for the field "lens".

However, the camera doesn't always properly record what len you used unless it's a newer lens. In my experience, the Pentax-DA lenses are properly recorded by the K10D, but I haven't tried the FA, FA-J, or F lenses. The A series lenses are recorded as "A Series Lens". No info is recorded for lenses without the A setting. I'm not sure how the camera records off-brand lenses with A settings, although I have a couple (I'm not at the computer with my pictures, sorry), but I've read that the camera doesn't always accurately detect what lenses those are.
08-24-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Unfortuntely, the way lens info is stored in EXIF is kind of wacky, and while some programs do try to sort this out and figure out what lens was actually used, ACDSee currently doesn't (although that's been a commonly requested feature; I too hope to see it some day!). Meanwhile, yes, searching by focal length - including by range - works fine. Just click the "Add" button below the Properties box in the Search window. Although what I normally when trying to find shots from a given lens in a given set of images do is simply sort my display by focal length.
08-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Marc.

I saw the place where the user can input focal lengths but I couldn't get it to work.
Is there a way of entering a user selected range of focal lengths (eg. 25-45) and a way of entering focal lengths smaller than, or greater than (eg. <28) ?

08-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As I said, click the "add" button below the properties box. Select EXIF focal length, then in the properties box, you can say what comparison you want performed (eg, click "is" to change it to "is between" or "is less than", then click the "click to set" to set the focal lengths.

It's just enough of a pain that I find it faster to simply sort, though.