Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

10 year old roll?

Hello there!

So, I remembered my mum has a Yashica 12 (got it from her dad). I took it into my hands recently, and behold! A roll of film is inside! (Not a single shot fired)

Now, I know the roll has to be at least 10 years old, as no one touched the camera since then. Do you think it's still good, or should I go buy a new one?

Thanks for the replies! =)

— Nanthiel

P.S. I hope this is the right forum. It does say 'Darkroom' in the title, and I suppose a question about film suits this place?

08-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I've heard of worse, there is only one way to find out. Shoot it and see...
08-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I agree with opfor. Shoot and see. This might also determine camera performance after sitting
around without being used for so long. Leaf shutters are notorious for inaccuracy long inactivity. Good luck.

Oscar
08-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I'll try! Now... what to use it on.. =P

Oh, it's black and white ASA 400 film, by the way. (no idea how mum could remember that)

08-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

Hey, film I understand. Several years ago, while cleaning my darkroom, I found a developing tank taped shut with ASA 1000 written on it. I developed the roll, and found shots of my daughter, as a toddler. Since she was in her 2nd year of college at the time, the film was not only about 17 years old, but the images were latent all that time. So...as my old basketball coach used to say - "When in doubt, shoot!" The film is probably still "good." Getting it processed could be a problem, though. Good Luck!
08-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

2 shots made so far. Waiting for some suitable opportunity to take more. The camera seems to work okay so far. Meter has been dead for some time though, so I use my K20D to meter.
09-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am exploring something similar. I recently bought a Pentax 645 and 3 lenses on Fleabay (for a very nice price), and the seller threw in a dozen rolls of expired film, kept in a freezer. I figure I've got little to lose if I try out the camera with these and save the new rolls I bought for when I am more familiar with the camera.

09-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just recently had a "disposable" camera (135 film) developed that my son had taken 10 years ago when he was little. It came out pretty good. It was c41 color. I might add that it had been semi abused by me because for years I had assumed it was ruined.