Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I suspect that traditional artists saw the invention of the camera/photography in a similar light... and they probably made similar comments about the brushes, palette knives and paints as well. Now it is all an accepted art form. A tool is a tool... it either is useful to you or not
Yes, exactly. And that's why I say they are digital paintings. A new category of art. The photographer back then didn't call his photograph a painting and the painter didn't call their work a photograph. Today, you take the an image and go, hum, the blue is not blue enough. There fixed that. Oh, darn, I wasn't at the right place at the right time to capture that beautiful orange on those Canyon walls. There, fixed that. And oh those tree leaves would look much better yellow than light green. No problem, fixed that too.

I say there is nothing wrong with it. It is a work of art. But don't manipulate the light wave lengths captured by the camera or introduce new, unrecored light wave lengths and then pass it off as a photograph then say look at the beautiful moment in nature I captured is all when in reality you created it.

Granted, there is interpretation just like an analog print made from a negative. But what we are seeing today has taken it way past minor tone interpretations to all-out fabrications. Digital paintings, in other words.

Last edited by tuco; 09-09-2009 at 10:35 AM.
09-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #47
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I suspect that traditional artists saw the invention of the camera/photography in a similar light... and they probably made similar comments about the brushes, palette knives and paints as well. Now it is all an accepted art form. A tool is a tool... it either is useful to you or not
Very well put.
09-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #48
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
If your colors don't make a male peacock fold its spread of feathers, hang its head in shame and walk away in lost hope of ever competing for a mate next to your super-saturated work, you just won't earn much.
[LOL] You sure got it right, about the peacocks -- incredible show. Unreal! And their voice is as overpowering as their mating display -- in Spring, you (and the neighbors) can hear them literally a mile away.

But to get back on topic, I also laugh at your dismissing HDR as "just a painting," and not a real "photograph". What's a photograph, then?

Is a macro image of a butterfly "just a painting" if the flowers in the background are out of focus? Are all Ansel Adams' B&W images immediately dismissed because they're undersaturated (unless you're color-blind) and he fudged with the contrast a bit? Is a 20-minute time exposure of Jupiter's moons "just a painting" because it took you more than 10 minutes with a 200inch telescope? Is a 1/4000sec image of a horse with all four hooves in the air not "real" because it shows something no human could ever see? Is an HDR image just a painting because it lets you see details in deep shadows?

A photograph (ideally) shows what the photographer wants to show. That might be more, or less, than what the photographer sees as "real".
09-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #49

Photos: Gallery | Albums
HDR greatness

i think the K20D works amazingly well at doing HDR shots. i have my multi exposure mode set to 5 shots (you can still do it hand held with 3 shots but i would use a tripod for 5) and bracket them a stop apart and i have enjoyed it quite a bit. i use photomatix to generate the HDR, then CS3 to fine tune it - using topaz adjust and noise reduction (i cant remember the name of the program i am using for noise but topaz adjust actually does a pretty good job of removing noise itself)

Last edited by insulinguy; 02-17-2011 at 09:17 AM.