Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

K7 and Lightroom 2.4

I just cannot seem to find any settings that will give me consisently good results with DNG files
Any suggestions / tips ?? or should I try the software from Pentax ?

Kman

Last edited by kmanlaker; 09-02-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: additional info
09-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not sure if I understand your question, but if you are trying to find one global setting that can be applied to all photos; it doesn't exist. There are some settings that I use that are fairdly universal for sharpening, noise reduction (varies by ISO), and clarity, but other than that each picture is an individual.
09-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you tried just using PEF files? Thats what i use with Lightroom and haven't noticed any problems to complain about.
09-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
May not apply to the K7, but I have found ACDSee Pro 2.5 has much better noise control than the LR2.4 for my K-m iso800/1600/3200.

09-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #5

Go to Adobe and download ACR 5.5. It supports the K7 and it should update Lightroom as well.
09-03-2009, 03:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm not sure if I understand your question, but if you are trying to find one global setting that can be applied to all photos; it doesn't exist. There are some settings that I use that are fairdly universal for sharpening, noise reduction (varies by ISO), and clarity, but other than that each picture is an individual.
well I just cannot seem to get what I would call a good starting point with k7 DNG files in Lightroom.

thank you
kman
09-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you are shooting in Raw, when you open the photo in LR, it should give you the unadulterated "negative", so to speak..It makes no difference at all of you shoot in DNG or PEF as one is not treated any differently or produces a different result than the other.. Considering the untouched Raw photos that the K10/20/-7 produce compared to other makers/models out there, I am not sure why you are having a hard time finding a good starting point. What exactly are you looking for?

Jason

09-03-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is the colors, then you may want to change 'adobe standard' to 'camera standard' in the drop dowon menu under camera calibration.
09-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
If you are shooting in Raw, when you open the photo in LR, it should give you the unadulterated "negative", so to speak..It makes no difference at all of you shoot in DNG or PEF as one is not treated any differently or produces a different result than the other.. Considering the untouched Raw photos that the K10/20/-7 produce compared to other makers/models out there, I am not sure why you are having a hard time finding a good starting point. What exactly are you looking for?

Jason
well I shot a portrait a couple of weeks ago in DNG and JPG with the K7 and all of the skin tones look very oversaturated in Lightroom and I am trying to figure out why.
Let me ask you guys this -- if by chance I accidently had the JPG color to "bright" instead of "normal" would that influence the RAW file?? And if it was setto vivid or bright ( I forget the exact word ) should I go try the Pentax software raw conversion that came with the camera to cancel out the color setting?? My past experience has been with Canon and the pentax raw files are somewhat new to me.

thank you
Kman
09-03-2009, 06:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
If it is the colors, then you may want to change 'adobe standard' to 'camera standard' in the drop dowon menu under camera calibration.
thanks for the tip --- I have tried both and the adobe standard helps

Kman
09-03-2009, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What you are probably looking for is the "camera calibration" choice in the development tab as pcarfan mentioned. These are RAW profiles that do the pre-post-process gruntwork of converting your RAW image data into a usable image canvas. They can within themselves affect the contrast, colors, etc of the image so it's nice to have a good starting point I agree. Although I tend to stay away from the "camera standard" in Light Room, because I believe it has a tendency to really blow out oranges and reds.

The "adobe standard" seems to do a pretty good job, and that's what I used for my K200D before I got my K-7, and I always liked the starting images that I got out of that, although occasionally it too would do some funny colors with very bright pink flowers.

If you shoot DNG with the K-7, you'll notice that you can also select "embedded profile," which I assume is a data packet within the DNG that Pentax has supplied which they believe is the correct output for the camera. That is what I am currently using for my K-7, but the colors are definitely more muted and dull than the "adobe standard," so if you are looking for pop right out of the pipe then you might not want to use that. Of course you can always add in whatever constrast, saturation etc you want.

I have also tested to see if this "embedded profile" changes if you select a different picture mode for JPEGs (bright, natural, portrait, etc). My conclusion is that the embedded profile is not dependent on the picture mode selection.
09-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
..................Let me ask you guys this -- if by chance I accidently had the JPG color to "bright" instead of "normal" would that influence the RAW file?? And if it was setto vivid or bright ( I forget the exact word ) should I go try the Pentax software raw conversion that came with the camera to cancel out the color setting?? My past experience has been with Canon and the pentax raw files are somewhat new to me.

thank you
Kman
The camera would put that information into the metadata and LR would display the photo applying those settings. You can reset that by right-click on the photo, go to settings, and click whichever preset suits your fancy, but I would suggest "general-zeroed" and then adjust manually from there. If shooting DNG you can even save the new settings to the metadta, or, if shooting PEF you can "export" as a DNG.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-03-2009 at 08:10 AM.
09-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

"Let me ask you guys this -- if by chance I accidentally had the JPG color to "bright" instead of "normal" would that influence the RAW file?"

NO.

"I shot a portrait a couple of weeks ago in DNG and JPG with the K7 and all of the skin tones look very oversaturated in Lightroom and I am trying to figure out why."

What and how are you adjusting your parameters? The results of the tones are greatly controlled/fixed/enhanced/muted etc by the correct or proper use of the sliders. My advice...and the biggest help I think you may find is...go to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips and DL (you can see samples first) some of the presets available there for free. There are a myriad of presets (free!!) in which you can DL into the development module in LR which can give you excellent starting places in developing photos for many different uses and outcomes. I have about 30-40 I have DL'd from that site and used them and even tailored them for my own tastes...it was a huge help in getting some instant gratification with developing in LR. Studying the settings within each preset and how it affects the photo image can also teach you about each control, individually or together.

At the end of the day, LR is a great piece of software and the K-7, in capable hands is a fantastic tool. Keep at it and I think you'll be very pleased.

Jason
09-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
"Let me ask you guys this -- if by chance I accidentally had the JPG color to "bright" instead of "normal" would that influence the RAW file?"

NO.

"I shot a portrait a couple of weeks ago in DNG and JPG with the K7 and all of the skin tones look very oversaturated in Lightroom and I am trying to figure out why."

What and how are you adjusting your parameters? The results of the tones are greatly controlled/fixed/enhanced/muted etc by the correct or proper use of the sliders. My advice...and the biggest help I think you may find is...go to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips and DL (you can see samples first) some of the presets available there for free. There are a myriad of presets (free!!) in which you can DL into the development module in LR which can give you excellent starting places in developing photos for many different uses and outcomes. I have about 30-40 I have DL'd from that site and used them and even tailored them for my own tastes...it was a huge help in getting some instant gratification with developing in LR. Studying the settings within each preset and how it affects the photo image can also teach you about each control, individually or together.

At the end of the day, LR is a great piece of software and the K-7, in capable hands is a fantastic tool. Keep at it and I think you'll be very pleased.

Jason
great tip -- many thanks I will check it out

kman
09-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

ACR 5.4 or 5.5?

QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote
Go to Adobe and download ACR 5.5. It supports the K7 and it should update Lightroom as well.
I'm presently on LR ACR 5.4 and when i go to Adobe, they only have a download for 5.4. What's the story behind 5.5??