Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 02:35 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I'm presently on LR ACR 5.4 and when i go to Adobe, they only have a download for 5.4. What's the story behind 5.5??
I have LR v2.4 and how can you check which version of ACR is installed?

I do know that ACR 5.5 only works with Photoshop CS4 which I do not own. I am still on CS1.

And while we are on this subject doesn't LR automatically with it's updater download the latest versions?

Also does LR really need the ACR v5.4 or 5.5 isn't the ACR part "built" into the LR program??

Sorry for all of the questions but I have not really used RAW software for a couple of years ( up until I quit doing product work ) but now I have 3 portrait's coming up and I need to get back into the workflow issues.

Kman

09-04-2009, 03:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
I have LR v2.4 and how can you check which version of ACR is installed?
Lightroom 2.4 has ACR 5.4 and DNG converter 5.4.

Also does LR really need the ACR v5.4 or 5.5 isn't the ACR part "built" into the LR program??
Lightroom has both ACR and DNG Converter "built in".

Usually new version of Lightroom appears either together with new version of ACR and DNG converter or a little bit later.

Note, that ACR 5.5 isn't released yet. Abobe made available ACR 5.5 Release candidate.
09-04-2009, 04:45 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Lightroom 2.4 has ACR 5.4 and DNG converter 5.4.

Lightroom has both ACR and DNG Converter "built in".

Usually new version of Lightroom appears either together with new version of ACR and DNG converter or a little bit later.

Note, that ACR 5.5 isn't released yet. Abobe made available ACR 5.5 Release candidate.
thank you for explaining this to me
so if ACR 5.5 is not "official" yet is there a way to load that into Lightroom 2.4?

kman
09-04-2009, 05:03 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you can download the new one, do a search on your computer for the file "raw.8bi". Replace that one with the new one.

09-04-2009, 05:35 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If you can download the new one, do a search on your computer for the file "raw.8bi". Replace that one with the new one.
Yesterday I was poking around inside of the Lightroom Program Folder ( windows xp ) and I could not find a file with that name. Do you know which folder it goes in?
I am running Photoshop CS ( the version 1 if you will of CS ) and I think i know where it goes inside of PS ( maybe not ), but ACR 5.5 will only work for CS4 from what I understand.

kman

Last edited by kmanlaker; 09-04-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: edit type
09-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #21
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yesterday I was poking around inside of the Lightroom Program Folder ( windows xp ) and I could not find a file with that name. Do you know which folder it goes in?
I am running Photoshop CS ( the version 1 if you will of CS ) and I think i know where it goes inside of PS ( maybe not ), but ACR 5.5 will only work for CS4 from what I understand.

kman
Sorry about that. The file is "Camera Raw.8bi". I have CS3 and the filepath is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS3\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

Yours may be somewhat different as you have CS, but if you just go to C:\ and do a Windows search for "Camera Raw.8bi" you should find it rather quickly. Having CS you will be limited to earlier versions though. My CS3 limits me to 5.3 I think.