Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
24" IPS on the cheap

Anyone in Canada looking for a 24" IPS might take a look. Good luck.

NCIX.com - Buy Philips Brilliance 240PW9EB 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor IPs 1920X1200 3000:1DC 5ms VGA DVI-D - MT-PL-240PW9EB In Canada.

09-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow all 25 gone in less than an hr.
09-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I can get a 20 inch ips for $300 if anyone is after one
09-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can get the Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22" IPS monitor for under $250 USD, usually.

09-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much were they wlachan ? I'm in the market for one eventually, kinda waiting for FS to get them in cheaper as I have a $250 gift card to burn.
09-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow I wasn't awared IPS could be that cheap in the US, but I am in Canada. The NCIX special was CA$420 which is pretty good in Canada, but they were all gone in an hour.
09-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Wow I wasn't awared IPS could be that cheap in the US, but I am in Canada. The NCIX special was CA$420 which is pretty good in Canada, but they were all gone in an hour.
Yeah, when the 2209WA was announced, very many people were eagerly (and impatiently) awaiting it's availability. I think you actually have to call Dell to order it. Here's the link for Dell Canada:

Dell : Dell UltraSharp 2209WA 22-inch Black Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor : Displays : ABOUT DELL

Edit: Funny, about IPS prices. I have an 20" Acer with a S-IPS panel. I bought it about 4 years ago for something like $350. Many people didn't like the IPS-based panels because some folks could see ghosting during fast-moving video and games. Yet now, IPS is a "premium" technology for many people because of better color accuracy and viewing angles than TN. About 2 years ago I saw the same monitor I have for sale at Newegg for $269!

I can definitely understand why that NCIX special sold out so quickly!

09-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #8

I have a HP2475 and its great. I saw it for ~400 somewhere a few weeks back! Provantage typically has them for less. But its wide gamut.
09-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddutta Quote
I have a HP2475 and its great. I saw it for ~400 somewhere a few weeks back! Provantage typically has them for less. But its wide gamut.
Could someone explain to me wide gamut? Is this not a good thing for photo editing? I see Provantage has two of the HP 2475 listed at different prices. Does this reflect wide and not wide gamut? I want to replace my Dell IPS 20 inch 2005 monitor with something in the 22 to 24 inch range and would prefer IPS. I see the prices have become more reasonable. I see now we have what, three different forms of IPS? This whole monitor thing makes my head hurt.

Larry
09-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

And I see now we have the new NEC MultiSync EA231WMi 23 inch IPS screen. More optionss to confuse my simple mind. Why are these a fraction of the price of the NEC 2490's? Different IPS technologies?

Larry
09-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Why are these a fraction of the price of the NEC 2490's? Different IPS technologies?
The newer & cheaper IPS panels seem to employ the E-IPS technology that is a modification of the older H-IPS panels. The expensive IPS panels (i.e., Apple displays--both iMac & Cinema--and some other high-end brands) are usually either S-IPS or H-IPS. The E-IPS is cheaper, but it's hard to find out why. The best explaination I found was at this blog post, but I don't know how accurate it is.

I just bought a Dell 2209WA 22" E-IPS display for $199 and it's amazing how much improved it is over the typical LCD displays (that use TN panels). I calibrated it yesterday with my Spyder2 and while there was some difference following calibration, it wasn't substantial. I'm very pleased so far, but I haven't used it for long. At that price, though, it's head and shoulders above similarly priced & spec'd competition. Highly recommended.
09-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by indytax Quote
The newer & cheaper IPS panels seem to employ the E-IPS technology that is a modification of the older H-IPS panels. The expensive IPS panels (i.e., Apple displays--both iMac & Cinema--and some other high-end brands) are usually either S-IPS or H-IPS. The E-IPS is cheaper, but it's hard to find out why. The best explaination I found was at this blog post, but I don't know how accurate it is.

I just bought a Dell 2209WA 22" E-IPS display for $199 and it's amazing how much improved it is over the typical LCD displays (that use TN panels). I calibrated it yesterday with my Spyder2 and while there was some difference following calibration, it wasn't substantial. I'm very pleased so far, but I haven't used it for long. At that price, though, it's head and shoulders above similarly priced & spec'd competition. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the link. It's explains a lot if accurate. One thing for certain...ips panels are now more affordable and I'm shopping. The Dell you mention is high on my list too. The price is outstanding, but it's so popular, they appear to be having problems keeping supply up.

Larry
09-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Just remember your ouput medium though. Most labs only accept sRGB and most web viewers use shitty TN panels. On my IPS panel my images look GARISH and overblown (intentional as i am compensating), but when i view on fam,ily, friends and work mates elcheapo panels they look fine.

'tis tough.
09-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Just remember your ouput medium though. Most labs only accept sRGB and most web viewers use shitty TN panels. On my IPS panel my images look GARISH and overblown (intentional as i am compensating), but when i view on fam,ily, friends and work mates elcheapo panels they look fine.
Are you running a calibrated IPS display?
I've been wondering whether or not to go IPS for the same reason...
09-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Thanks for the link. It's explains a lot if accurate. One thing for certain...ips panels are now more affordable and I'm shopping. The Dell you mention is high on my list too. The price is outstanding, but it's so popular, they appear to be having problems keeping supply up.
Yes, it seems like whenever Dell gets a shipment in, they have a good sale price and then quickly sell out. If you want one they're more likely immediately available from delloutlet.com. In this instance, I wouldn't worry about the refurbished label, the warranty and guarantees are the same standard 3-year period just as "new" units carry. The price is unbeatable & carries free shipping.