Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr and EXIF Data

I have noticed that some images on Flickr (like mine, for instance) do not have any EXIF data while some others do.

Can someone please tell me how to upload to Flickr with the EXIF data intact.

Does one have to have a Pro account for that to happen?

Thanks in advance.

09-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no you dont need a pro account and you shoudnt need to do anything special either, ill bet the problem is simply that your images dont have any exif as it was removed when you resized and saved the image in pp prior to uploading it. it easy to make a wrong move that removes the exif in pp. altho if thats the case then we would need to know what program you use for pp.

i have used lightroom with the flickr upload plugin and it works great and with exif, actually it includes too much exif so i had to add the plugin that selectively removes it
09-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hmm, maybe it's the uploader thatmakes the difference, then? I don't have a Pro account, and none of my images have EXIF after the upload, using either ACDSee's uploader or the one that comes with Flickr.
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have wondered the same thing. I don't have a Pro account. On my most recent uploads, the smaller version that displays in the photostream lacks exif, while the full-sized version (the one I uploaded) has the exif intact. I have also noticed that some of my earlier posts have incomplete or missing exif, even on the larger version.

I use both versions of the Flickr uploader and wonder if it makes a difference which one is used?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-05-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Edited for accuracy...
09-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

From what I understand, there are 2 ways to "lose" EXIF data on flickr. The ways you actually do lose it is in PP and that has nothing to do with flickr. You can tell if this is the issue by checking the EXIF properties after saving your final image before or after uploading.

If your image has EXIF attached, flickr will store and display that info in the image properties page for each image (some of it like camera model) is displayed on the image's page. What Marc and Steve might be experiencing isthem looking for the EXIF in a flickr image that was resized by flickr's servers. The original-sized file uploaded keeps the EXIF data but the resized images don't. We almost always link to a resized image and that's why there no EXIF attached. So far as I know, there's no way to link to a resized version and keep the EXIF without having to click through to the image page on flickr.

It's also possible that some uploaderrs strip the data. I believe that the official uploaders don't strip EXIF but that some third-party uploaders might. The iPhoto plugin doesn't strip, but I have no experience with the LR plugin.
09-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Closed Account

This might have nothing to do wit what you do, but just throwing this up there: If in Photoshop you use the "export for web" option, you lose the exif data, at least in CS2.
09-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It depends on whether you include EXIF in your JPEG file when you upload. For example, I usually take RAW and convert to JPEG file and resize it to 1800x1200 and also remove the EXIF to keep the file smaller for upload. Additionally, even if you upload the JPEG file with EXIF, you can also turn that off when the file is displayed - you can edit your account/privacy & permission/hide your EXIF data -yes or no.

09-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you one and all for your thoughts.
I use a number of methods to resize for the web - PS CS3 or 4 and/or FastStone. So I need to see if the EXIF data was still there before I uploaded to Flickr.
I normally use Flickr's upload program but I have also used the Lightroom plugin.

I tried that again today and a small amount of EXIF was uploaded. I think the amount of data is customisable in Lightroom but I now need to do some more experimenting.

If I happen to pin-point what works and what doesn't I will post back here.

Thanks again.
09-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lightroom Flickr upload plug-in works

I have verified that Lightroom's Flickr upload plug-in transfers all available EXIF data BUT in the Metadata section you must remove the (default) check mark against "Minimize Embedded Metadata" and, of course, that makes perfect sense.

Here is an image I just uploaded and the EXIF data is visible in Mozilla with the Exif Viewer plug-in.

09-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
ACDSee 10 Photo Manager

ACDSee 10 Photo Manager's Flickr Upload function does not upload all EXIF data - just filename, description and tags.

It also will not process PEFs. You first have to convert the image to a TIFF or a JPEG. It is also painfully slow as it processes the upload via ACDSee's InTouch server. An unnecessary complication IMHO.

Lightroom, however, works directly with a PEF, converting it to JPEG (or other filetype) in the process and it transfers all EXIF data as well.

So, in future when I want EXIF data to accompany the image I will make sure that I use Lightroom. It works and it is so easy.

I will probably look at other manual methods of converting PEF to JPEG to see when and where EXIF data is kept or lost. But that is not a priority now that I have a method that works.
09-06-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the fact that you are linking the "original" image here is why it is working for you. If you have a Pro account, you can always link to the original. If you don't have a Pro account, I think you can only link to the original if it is smaller than the largest size Flicrk normally makes available. And as mentioned, all the resized versions Flickr creates makes available will have the EXIF removed - at least that has been my experience.
09-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think the fact that you are linking the "original" image here is why it is working for you. If you have a Pro account, you can always link to the original. If you don't have a Pro account, I think you can only link to the original if it is smaller than the largest size Flicrk normally makes available. And as mentioned, all the resized versions Flickr creates makes available will have the EXIF removed - at least that has been my experience.
What he said...
09-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Hmm, maybe it's the uploader thatmakes the difference, then? I don't have a Pro account, and none of my images have EXIF after the upload, using either ACDSee's uploader or the one that comes with Flickr.
On Flickr, the EXIF data is only available on the uploaded image, the Original Size. The other displayed images have no EXIF data. Annoying, but true.
09-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
On Flickr, the EXIF data is only available on the uploaded image, the Original Size. The other displayed images have no EXIF data. Annoying, but true.
Nope. As I demonstrated in this post, both the original and the Flickr resized image retain EXIF data.

It's not clear whether Flickr always retains the EXIF data, but it's certainly not routinely removed during resizing, unless you choose to not share that data. It might be different with a free account.
09-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
Nope. As I demonstrated in this post, both the original and the Flickr resized image retain EXIF data.
Unfortunately, junyo, you're incorrect. That Flickr strips EXIF data when resizing images is a well-documented fact and is acknowledged by Flickr.

The second image you linked to doesn't have the EXIF info in it. All that Jeffery's EXIF Viewer is able to pull out of your image is the XMP, IPTC, and ICC profile information while the EXIF is gone. Compare your image data with that from this image that rayallen posted above. Ray's image has all the EXIF info (and even more XMP data) intact, along with the same info as your image has.

A user's Flickr settings have nothing to do with this phenomenon. While there is an option in each user's Flickr account's "Privacy & Permissions" settings to "Hide your EXIF data," all that option does is control whether Flickr includes a link on your image page within Flickr to view the EXIF data or not (that link is "More properties" following the camera model under "Additional Information"). Just click the "?" after the option on your settings page to see the official description of that option.