Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Switching from Capture One 4 to Silkypix?

Capture One 4, which I happen to be my RAW developer of choice came is generally thought to have good image quality output and great ease of use.

The ease of use part I can fully agree with. It is remarkable. But speaking of the IQ I am not so sure anymore. It seems it can't get some purple / pink / reddish tones right from Pentax files, and what is worse, it can't get (caucasian) skin tones right from Pentax files without messing up the rest of the colours in the image.

I have been searching for hints in pentax forums and written their support. No feedback from forums and very unsupportive feedback from PhaseOne support:

"We have not planned any changes in the Pentax colour profiles. Try changing the colour manually and save it as a setting"

Well, doh. The problem is that it doesn't seem possible to get some pinkish tones right without destroying the rest of the colours in the image.

So my question is, one last call for help , does anyone know how to get pinkish colours right in C1-4 or will I have to shell out almost the same amount again to get Silkypix, which imho has a much less userfriendly UI, needs more work to get the images "right", but when you are finished, the images really look the way they should.

09-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #2

I have used Capture one Silkypix and ACR (as part of CS4) and my order of preferences are:

ACR - I have calibrated my cameras using the DNG Profile editor.

Capture one - their colours are very good and the rest of the package is sound - it is not as powerful as ACR.

Silkypix - was my favourite once I got used to the interface. I have been using the studio version 3 and have trialed the version 4 in both the Studio and Pro versions. In my opinion, the results - including the interface - fall below Capture One and ACR.

Last edited by bobrapp; 09-09-2009 at 04:36 AM.
09-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Johan, software choice is such a personal thing. Why don't you try the demo version of SP ( I think it watermarks, but you'll be able see if the colours are correct). I've used the trail versions of both SP 4 & SP Pro 4. I really like the program and will be buying the pro version when the AUD climbs a bit higher.

Dan.
09-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi, Dan,

What is SP, is that Silkypix? thanks
Alfred

09-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Hi, Dan,

What is SP, is that Silkypix? thanks
Alfred
Yes SilkyPix Developer Studio v4 & Silkypix Developer Studio Pro v4.
09-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Johan, software choice is such a personal thing. Why don't you try the demo version of SP ( I think it watermarks, but you'll be able see if the colours are correct). I've used the trail versions of both SP 4 & SP Pro 4. I really like the program and will be buying the pro version when the AUD climbs a bit higher.

Dan.
When you said clours are correct, did you mean colour from RAW files?

I'm using Lightroom at the moment, I used to have trouble ready RAW files from LT. It just changes your original colour which annoy me incredibily. I later found some prefixes which improve the situation but still not able to show me the true colour which I see from Pentax Browser Software.

Did you find SP is much better in this sense?

Cheers,
09-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobrapp Quote

Capture one - their colours are very good and the rest of the package is sound - it is not as powerful as ACR.

Silkypix - was my favourite once I got used to the interface. I have been using the studio version 3 and have trialed the version 4 in both the Studio and Pro versions. In my opinion, the results - including the interface - fall below Capture One and ACR.
Yes, the colours from Capture One are very good, except for some pink hues and skintones. Especially cerise colours will look more like salmon.

Cerise (color) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - "Hollywood cerise" that is a colur where C1 would fail miserably, in my experience. It is possible to correct using the colour settings, but then the rest of the image will take on a blueish tone.

Skin tones look excellent from Pentax JPEG or PPL, but using C1 caucasian skin tones get a yellowish hue and look much more "flat" than images using Pentax colour profile.

But then I have not heard anyone else complaining about this, so maybe I am making some elementary error. If someone could give me a hint of the right direction, I would be very grateful.

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote

Dan.
I just realized I did not explain that I am currently trying out the demo of SP Pro 4. I find it much easier to get these colours right (as in PPL / Pentax colours), compared to C1. It is just that I like the C1 interface much better, and I feel a bit peeved to have to hand out the same amount of hard earned cash once more to get "correct" colours from my PEFs.

09-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
it can't get (caucasian) skin tones right from Pentax files without messing up the rest of the colours in the image.
try this one - PentaxK20D-DNGembedded.zip - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
09-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks!

To replace the PentaxK20D-Generic.icm that comes with C1?
09-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wowtip Quote
Thanks!

To replace the PentaxK20D-Generic.icm that comes with C1?
1) sorry, I screwed the profile - had to remove it, can't fix it for now

2) not to replace, you can add whatever profiles your want - just keep the naming convention PentaxK20D-"whatever name you want to use".icm
09-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
1) sorry, I screwed the profile - had to remove it, can't fix it for now

2) not to replace, you can add whatever profiles your want - just keep the naming convention PentaxK20D-"whatever name you want to use".icm
Ok, if you can get a fixed profile up, I would greatly appreciate it. And thanks for the tip too.

I tried that one out, but the colours went very flat...